Re: [IRCA] AM down the road..

Patrick,

I just read Jim Nall's comments about the days when I had hair, then yours.  I remember getting up for SSB at 0255 back then, and actually hearing them at 0300, 0330, 0400 and so on.  1550 and 1560 were both quiet in the west back then, and I used to get family members bent out of shape with me when KOKA and WOKJ had some particular tasty gospel going.  Luckily, my grandfather was as interested in DX as I was...he still had his card from the KGW Keep Growing Wiser Order of the Hootowls!  Before KPMC (now KNZR) went AN, I could regularly get NYC, Melbourne FL and sometimes Lancaster SC, Warsaw NC and Gordon GA.  NYC was in sometimes with the big guns as was Boston.  I also managed to get all of the Maritimes and several stations from Quebec and Ontario.  There were also regionals in OH, IL, WV, NJ.  Going the other direction, I was pulling in Hawaii regularly...I haven't heard them now for over 20 years.  I was getting New Zealand, Australia and Japan before they went 9K spread...I can still hear Japan but no DUs for many moons.

One thing that I can say now that I couldn't say then is that I can pull in Alaska at least 4 days a week in the fall and spring.  I only heard AK four times until last October, then KENI was in every night for 2 months, went away during winter and now its back.  As long as I'm willing to stand out in the cold with my headphones on where I can get away from the AC noise, I can still DX in the city.

I don't know what I want more...good DX, the return of the full head of hair, or my youthful naivete.

Mike

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike,

I always wished "What if I knew then what I know now" sort of thing. I
wonder, if I had an R8 and a 1500' beverage, what would I have heard in
1965-70? One amazing thing in the early 70s for a time, 1400 was clear
every MM. The nearest station that was all night MM on 1400 was
Mansfield OH!! I caught the WNUE FL test on 1400 in 1971. Then there are
the EWE antennas aimed at the Pacific/Asia today. But I think in that
case, we are further ahead as the Pacific/Asians went to splits in 1978,
so TPs are better now. The thought of logging Nepal, India, Bangladesh
on MW in 1965 would have been nearly impossible. Especially since most
of the stations there ran low power, and there weren't very many. So
some things are better today.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin

Come to Seaside Oregon for the 2006 IRCA Convention! It will be held at
the Comfort Inn on September 22-24,2006.

Yahoo! Travel
Find great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!