Re: [IRCA] BOG wire (long Bevs..etc etc)

--- Neil Kazaross <neilkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My tests in Wisconsin show that 1100 feet is a bit long for a BOG
> (wire
> directly on ground) as it gets rather lossy and patterns start to
> degrade.
> Even 900 feet is pushing the limit, and from what I've seen there and
> here
> in IL, very high end patterns may degrade with more than 600 feet at
> times.

*** This is interesting, as it parallels our experiences over the past
4 years at Long Beach Island. We've ended up working with 500' as most
effective length. 1000' didn't work any better - certainly not worth
the extra effort - and in some cases proved worse.

> In Calif, my 3600 foot Bev was a near BOG for much of the length as
> it was
> draped over chapperal and low lying grasses and at times only a few
> inches
> above the ground. Yet it worked great ! When one gets directly on the
> ground
> things start to change as the velocity of propagation drops seriously
> and
> ground losses increase greatly. The ground under a BOG may have a
> major
> effect, so if you use one, you may find different results and if you
> have
> 1000+ feet, you want to test a BOG vs a classic elevated Bev. Don't
> be
> fooled when the Bev has 12-15 dB more signal as it is directivity and
> F/B
> that you are looking for. I don't think BOGs work very well on top of
> ground
> with an extremely high water table, for example.

***Of course ours run on sand alone a small dune perhaps 50-75' from
the water depending on tide level, which may also have an effect vs.
regular soil. And in our case while we're close to the ocean, it's
difficult to say with any accuracy what the water table below the
antennas might be like.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]