Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1620 Fort Wayne stunting?

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1620 Fort Wayne stunting?

> You mean "South Bend," of course. It's OK. All of Indiana looks
> pretty much the same... :-)
>
> This is also tied in with the 1490 and 1580 South Bend, under common
> ownership. They have to decide, soon, whether to hand back the 1580
> or 1620 licenses (the five years are up), and for whatever reason it
> looks as though lower-powered 1580 may stay (with ESPN), while
> higher-powered 1620 goes away.
>
> Blaine (who's in Fort Wayne, not South Bend) knows more about this
than I do...

I have a question concerning this matter of handing
back a license. I think that 1660 Elizabeth NJ came on
the air to replace WJDM 1530. Then, as I recall, I
read that a Long Island 1440 is going to move here
and take over the 1530 allocation. I saw this reported
maybe 2 or 3 months ago.

I thought the x-band was set up to free up room in the
regular band. If that were true, then it would seem that
1530 should be un-allocatable, since that slot was
moved over to 1660.  Maybe FCC considers this a
loophole since it will [now] be a different owner, but it
does nothing to help with the band crowding.

FWIW I was living in L.I. then, it was perhaps 10 years
ago, and heard one of the first 1660 NJ ETs on a then-
vacant x-band. Not sure I remember the then-call letters
any more.  One I missed was k-truck on 1670, dernit.
I think they were at the APG in Maryland.

- Bob