[IRCA] DC Power for DX rigs

Have used several lead acid type batteries over the years to power DX Rigs.
One was a motor cycle sized battery - it did not last long - less than a
year.  I yanked an old car battery from our 86 Chevy before junking the car
and it lasted several years.  I also yanked the radio from this car (early
digital set that tops out at 1610khz) and it worked well this way.

About 10 years ago, before buying the R8A I used a 12 GelCel to power my
FRG7.  It was a small battery (I believe 2AH and would last a few hours
before becoming unusable.

I also used batteries to power my R8A and found out that this set will cease
to work around 11V+/- or so.  As the battery voltage drops the R8A audio
starts to get distorted and eventually the radio is unusable.  Someone with
either a variable voltage power supply or storage battery can prove this out
by powering up an R8 series set to see how low in voltage you can go before
the set starts to generate either RF or Audio distortion.  I don't have a
battery or suitable power supply to try this out now.

Tom Jasinski
Shorewood, IL