[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-17

Since Chris Kadlec can only dream of receiving his old Korean locals in Michigan, I'm happy to post another report with a (brief) Seoul local recording (which probably sounds much worse for wear after crossing 5,000 miles of ocean). Chris not only provided the name of a Korean rap group that I recorded on 603-HLSA a week ago, but the song title as well-- along with a detailed assessment of the entire Korean rap music genre. Awesome!

For the first time in several days a predawn band check at 1245 revealed some healthy Asian signals, so a single 15" FSL, its 4' PVC base and a 7.5" loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight were taken 5 blocks away to a local park to escape the neighbor's RFI. The RFI was duly escaped, but not the curious stares of park visitors (who had no hesitation to ask numerous questions at the worst possible time).

>From 1300 UTC on an overachieving 738-BEL2 was in and out of the KCBS splatter, hitting its peak at an S7 level with male-voiced Chinese news around 1403. When increasing daylight caused Frisco to fade around 1350 HLKG tried to pick up the slack, resulting in a wild snarl until Taiwan prevailed at the TOH. The daylight boost brought weak Chinese signals out of the noise on 603 (mixing with HLSA), 639 and 756, and brought the CRI stations on 1017 and 1044 up to fair peaks. The Japanese big guns seemed pretty potent, but as usual the second-tier NHK stations so common in Victoria were MIA here. The high band big guns on 1566 and 1593 were in audio, but didn't seem especially strong. By 1430 both the Asian signals and my motivation to stay in the park were flagging, especially after attracting some unwanted attention and questions from curious onlookers (who were somewhat better dressed than the Rockwork cliff squatters, but equally distracting). The overall star of the session had to be 738-BEL2, reaching its best level of the season (S7) just after the 1400 TOH.

603  HLSA   Hwaseong, S. Korea   Temporarily near S9 with music and female speech from the KBS2 (Happy FM) net post-TOH routine at 1400  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/okgtkoyvuzwxsq5f9u9m7hedwjz7x8ia

738  BEL2  Penghu, Taiwan   Male Chinese speech and interval signal with S7 peaks around 1403-- its best performance of the season so far  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/pndpaegm9q1th24drprm16yebr0vgqhx

73 and Good DX,

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

7.5" loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight + 15" FSL antenna

DXing in Sam Peach Park in the Puyallup Valley