[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 9-15, 2017

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire. FRG-7 is no longer in use.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page65
[over 270,000 views! as of December 15, 2017]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA [if any], unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 680, Dec 10 at 0700 UT, ``680 CJOB, Your News Station``, then news from Canadian Press starting with carbon monoxide in BC, and an ABC correspondent in Alabama. Dominant on my east-west longwire, even tho from the north. All 50 kW supposed to head NNE from Winnipeg at night, and most of it in daytime. And is CJOB really in $tereo as in NRC AM Log? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

============

** U S A. I`m at the kite field in north-central Enid, away from power lines, but too close to 1390 & 960, undertaking a low-noon bandscan on the caradio, as local mean noon here is always 1832 UT. Nothing much on low band, not even 670 KLTT Denver, which normally barely reaches on groundwave. But lots of skywave CCI above 1100, e.g. 1130, presumably KS & LA. Further:

1250, Dec 9 at 1850 UT, good signal in Spanish, obviously KYYS, Kansas City KS, La Equis, La SÃper EstaciÃn, which makes it here only on skywave, 25 kW with major lobe to the WSW while we are SW of it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, Dec 9 at 1850 UT, Spanish also atop this frequency, i.e. KFLC, Benbrook (The Metroplex) TX which is now ESPN [sic] Deportes, updating the NRC AM Log. 50 kW almost ND, with groundwave just beyond Norman per radio-locator. Totally overcoming Tulsa / Claremore which is our normal daytime groundwave occupant. Benbrook? A 21K suburb, SW side of Fort Worth, now with a claim to fame; but radio-locator site pin is on the east side of FW. 1270 was the original KFJZ (Glenn Hauser, midday bandscan on caradio at kite field in north-central Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

A quick clarification - KFLC is UnivisiÃn Deportes, not ESPN Deportes. 1540 KZMP is the ESPN Deportes affiliate for the Dallas area. Most (all?) of the UnivisiÃn-operated stations (KTNQ-1020, KLSQ-870, etc.) now air UnivisiÃn Deportes, but this does not appear to be a full-time format, as I often hear these stations reverting back to the old "Amor Celestial" Spanish contemporary Christian format, or running a variety of music. Along these lines, I'm pretty confident that the UNID ESPN Deportes 1020 you reported a few months ago was KTNQ running UnivisiÃn Deportes. 73 (Tim Hall, CA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

KTNQ is 50/50 kW U4 Los Ãngeles, day and night null toward me and KDKA --- don`t think I`d ever heard it or any previous call (gh, DXLD)

** U S A. 1280, Dec 14 at 1347 UT, 1352 UT, and 1427 UT chex, KSOK Arkansas City KS is open carrier, dead air, but music finally resumed at 1511 UT check. Who cares? As long as they`ve got the paltry FM translator going, inaudible here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Dec 9 at 1853 UT, KXEL Waterloo IA is skywaving in, with oldtime radio, drama also plugging the DAV. 1857 UT it`s `Classic Radio Theater` from USA Radio Network, fades for ID around hourtop, but matches KXEL sked for Sat:
``Noon-1:00 p.m. KXEL Classic Radio Matinee``
And KXEL IDs in passing at 1907 UT (Glenn Hauser, midday bandscan on caradio at kite field in north-central Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540.116v, Dec 10 at 2351 UT, first on caradio on way to an Xmas program, still tuned to 1540 for yesterday`s KXEL midday reception, now a big low-audible-heterodyne (LAH) and classic rock music, at first not sure that`s the station causing the het. Soon ID as ``KGBC (?) 1480``, with three Houston suburbs, ``we`ve got you covered``. The one I recognize and retain is Clear Lake.

The 1480 station is KLVL Pasadena, NOT KGBC, but I`m positive the letters uttered were nothing like KLVL, altho first sounded like KGBD. It so happens that the two are jointly owned, by Siga, so are they now running // and KLVL also branded as ``KGBC``? 1480 is blocked here by Spanish from KBXD Metroplex. Next break at 2356 UT of same format, got three more suburbs covered, but this time really as ``KGBC 1540``. Natch, fade into QRM for hourtop legal(?) ID. But Michael Jackson playing until 0002 UT December 11.

Back home on the R75 at 0155 UT, I measure the off-frequency and do match it to the above stunting. 0158 UT, another ``we`ve got you covered`` slogan, hard rock. 0202 UT fade for quick mumbled legal(?) ID, then a chiropractic ad which starts out sounding like a PSA, but with a 713-phone; also frequently heard something with an 877 toll-free number.

A year or two ago, KGBC Galveston was off-frequency like this for a long time, but more recently had attained 1540.0 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1908, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1540, Dec 13 at 0021 UT check, ID right away for KEDA San Antonio and TexMex music, no het from KGBC like last night about 1540.11. As I hoped, Steven Luce in Houston TX has replied Dec 12 in the DXLD yg to my log of KGBC 1540+ Galveston also referring to 1480:

``Glenn, I can confirm that KLVL and KGBC have been // at recent checks here in Houston, running oldies music and a very occasional commercial. Both are brokered time stations looking for new clients.  The previous programmer on KLVL (which had moved from KYND, and before that, KJOZ) only lasted a few weeks on 1480. That group has not resurfaced anywhere.

I can hear the het on 1540 during critical hours. Nighttime at my QTH KGBC is completely lost in the co-channel pileup. No useable reception of KLVL at night, either, although day signal is good.  During critical hours KLVL often clashes with skywave from KBXD [Metroplex].

Speaking of KYND 1520, the station is still running the promotional loop looking for a new programmer to lease airtime. I have noticed that the station is not signing on until 0800 local (1400 UT) so chances of it getting out during morning critical hours are reduced.

Houston has a lot of brokered time stations on AM, and we may have reached a saturation point, with not enough potential clients for all of them`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1908, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, Dec 9 at 1856 UT, gospel huxter in English atop sports from OKC, 1858 UT fading. I would have guessed KKAA Aberdeen SD, but it is supposedly off the air pending new owner, ex-Family Radio. Surely instead closer 10 kW ND, KLNG Council Bluffs IA. Also getting ``The Zone`` on 1620 from Omaha at 1855 UT  (Glenn Hauser, midday bandscan on caradio at kite field in north-central Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, Dec 15 at 1422 UT, dead air from stronger station, presumably KKLF Richardson TX, DF seems to fit, while English talk audible from understation, presumably KBGG Des Moines IA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 900.15, Dec 11 at 0635 UT, something here making a het upon the 900s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500+, Dec 15 at 1416 UT, het on the plus side to KSTP, roughly NNW/SSE. Doubt it`s my closest KJIM Sherman, often audible and on-frequency; there are three other Texans, closest to the bearing being KANI Wharton; or from LA, KCLF New Roads (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1710, Dec 15 at 0724 UT, music is JBA but S9 on the meter, sounds like pop and then English? announcer. In that case probably not RetÃn lo que Tienes, Baton Rouge pirate which typically aired screaming gospel huxter in Spanish, not heard for some weeks (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---