Re: [IRCA] What's wrong with 1160

--- Begin Message ---
This was definitely WSKW Skowhegan, ME.  I went over my last few evenings' Perseus recordings.  The signal dominates on my east antenna.  99% of the time, since Bermuda went dark, there are only three significant players on 1160 here.  These are WSKW-ME, WOBM-NJ, and WVNJ-NJ.  WSKW is more north (bearing 7 deg., dist. 212 miles) than east but that would only be at about 5 dB down versus the main beam (90 deg.) of the east cardioid antenna.  WVNJ at 260 deg., 215 miles would be reduced about 20 dB and WOBM at 244 deg., 237 miles about 12-15 dB.  Nightly reception bears this out since, except for during huge aurora, WSKW strongly dominates on the east antenna.  My other cardioid antenna aims just east of due south (peak 165 deg. / null 345 deg.).  WOBM generally dominates on that with WVNJ a close second and WSKW a distant third along with occasional appearances by Antigua (Caribbean R. Lighthouse) during aurora along with bits of Spanish (likely WBQN P.R.).

Based on what came in on what antenna, there is no doubt that the "Oh Lonesome Me" tape-loop heard a couple of nights back was WSKW.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA, USA
(GC= 41.6931 N / 70.1912 W) (= 41Â 41.59' N / 70Â 11.47' W) (grid FN41vq)

Receiver: Microtelecom Perseus
See http://microtelecom.it/perseus/

Antenna 1: Cardioid-pattern SuperLoop: 10m vert. by 11m horiz. (peak 165 deg., null 345 deg.)
Antenna 2: Cardioid-pattern SuperLoop: 9m vert. by 20m horiz. (peak 90 deg., null 270 deg.)
See http://www.bamlog.com/superloop.htm for similar antenna type.

<<
Over on Facebook someone has identified the song being looped as Don
Gibson?s ?oh lonesome me? and said it doesn?t match the WKCM stream. The
WSKW stream no longer works, but the tips from Facebook and the people
reporting it Herr would suggest it is WSKW

Paul

--- End Message ---