Re: [IRCA] $37 SDR?

--- Begin Message ---
Think of what a half decent radio cost in the '60s and '70s relative to the money of the day.

$300 minimum for a competent National, Hammarlund, Hallicrafters, or Collins in 1967 is at least $2200 now.
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Even a $29.95 Realistic TRF from around 1973 equates to something like $168 now.

You can't record spectrum with any of those radios, read out frequency within a hertz, or have a nearly endless selection of filter bandwidths.

So spring for something like Elad or Afedri at the approx. $500 price point and skip the toys.

Remember $500 now is like $70 in '67.  I certainly would have coughed that up if any radio could do what an Elad does in the era when "Light My Fire" and "Purple Haze" were ruling the Top 40.  Being able to sit back 50 years later and listen to medium wave captures full of 5 kHz Latin America splits ... (would be) priceless!

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
MW DX...no way.

I'll second Chuck's sugestion. I read that the target price is less than
$200.

Regards,

Vince
Ottawa, ON