Re: [IRCA] My Longest Graveyard Catch: 2100 miles

My longest distance GYer is probably WNUE 1400 Ft. Walton Bch, Fl, here from Oregon in 1971 for a DX Test. The second would be 1450 Granby Q Canada, but they were running more power.

Patrick Martin Seaside OR KGED QSL Manager

________________________________
From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Larry R Fravel <lfravel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:07 AM
To: Hard-Core-DX; NRC; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] My Longest Graveyard Catch: 2100 miles

My best two catches on the AM band are KCEY 1390, Turlock CA in February
1959.  At that time I lived in Chesapeake, VA and was using a Hallicrafters
S-120 with a simple long wire about 30 feet long and maybe 10 feet in the
air.  The verification letter (which I still have) states that I was the
farthest east they had ever heard from.  Up until that time the furthest
east was Idaho. They also sent a coverage map.

My best all around MW DX catch was in March or 1961.  I was a senior in high
school at the time and lived in East Aurora, NY - about 15 miles south east
of Buffalo.  My "rig" was a standard 5 tube RCA table radio that I gotten
for Christmas.  I hooked a long wire to the loop on the back of it and ran
fifty feet of wire out my second floor window through some trees.   It was
from Radio Swan, Swan Island, Caribbean Sea, about 100 miles north east of
Honduras.  It was owned by the Gibraltar Steamship Company which I later
learned was a front for the CIA and was used to broadcast to Cuba.  They
were on 1160 AM and the letter says they were ran 50 KW.  I do remember they
were very weak and the programming was in Spanish.    According to the
letter they also ran SW operation on "6 mc" at 7.5 KW.

I have several other QSL"s from the Caribbean area as well that I got in
latter in the late sixties and seventies.

Larry Fravel K8YYY
Shinnston, WV

: It's easier to fool people than convince them that they've been fooled.
Mark Twain

-----
No virus found in this message.
[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/AVG_wordmark.png/220px-AVG_wordmark.png]<http://www.avg.com/>

AVG 2017 | FREE Antivirus & TuneUp for PC, Mac, Android<http://www.avg.com/>
www.avg.com
Download FREE antivirus and malware protection. Tune up your PC, Mac and Android devices for peak performance. Surf safely and privately, wherever you are.

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America