Re: [IRCA] Car Radios

I too have a noisy AM band on my 2007 Hyundai.  And, the
radio abruptly went almost deaf a few years ago.  Now it
is good only for strong locals.

The noise is caused by the car's computer creating wide
band hash right on my favorite news channel, "News radio
780" making 780khz unusable.  This hash starts out low,
just below 780 and drifts upward as the computer warms up
ending up right on top of 780.

After the radio went deaf I can now hear ignition noise
that varies with engine speed.  Suspect a loose or
corroded ground some where.  I would have to pull the
bottom of dashboard apart to get to the wiring.

The hash could probably be eliminated with a choke and a
few capacitors in the 12v line as close to radio as
possible.  And the deafness probably due to a bad ground
or perhaps an antenna lead in issue.

In the mid 1980's I owned a Chevy Celebrity with a high
quality Delco digital AM/FM set.  AM stopped at 1610khz,
but the set had excellent sound and good sensitivity and
selectivity.  If I had the time I would rip out the piece
of junk that I have now and put in the Delco set I saved
when I junked the Celebrity.

Most newer cars have low quality, poorly designed
electrical systems with no filtering that interferes with
the crappy AM radios.

Tom Jasinski
Joliet, IL