[IRCA] Murray Harbour North, PEI DXpedition report # 4

Yesterday afternoon started with a bang, but deteriorated into the evening
as a CME disrupted the earth's ionosphere.  Couple that with some antenna
issues, led to an early cessation of DXing.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed DXing
the X-band for Europirates and some of the marine services as well as a
quick look at the LW band.  Here are my results.  73, from PEI.   Walt
Salmaniw

153 ROMANIA Brasov 200 kW SRR Antena Satelor, Nov 10 2314 - Good reception
with slow piano accompanying a female singer.  Antena Satelor ID given.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

162 FRANCE Allouis 2000/1000 kW France Inter, Nov 10 2316 - Superb
reception with American blues program.  Hear they're closing at the end of
the year.  Too bad, as it puts out a great signal!. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

171 MOROCCO Nador 1600 kW Medi 1, Nov 10 2317 - Superb reception with
modern western music.  SW // of 9575 is just audible.  French DJ.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

183 GERMANY Felsberg 2000 kW Europe 1, Nov 10 2321 - Very good reception in
French with a couple of female announcers with light banter.  Some splatter
from Iceland on 189.  Not quite as strong as the lower channels.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

189 ICELAND Gufuskalar 300 kW RUV Ras 1, Nov 10 2323 - Live transmission of
a rock concert.  'Come to our show tonight.  Come again tomorrow night.
This was our first record'.  Not // to 207 (or at least not heard).
Continued to 00:00 (John Fogerty concert).  Finished with Rolling by the
River.  Back into Icelandic programming. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

198 UNITED KINGDOM Droitwich 500 kW BBC Radio 4, Nov 10 2329 - Good
reception with an American comedy parody about the elections.  A bit
distorted, and wondering whether it's due to multiple transmitters on
channel.  4 listed, with 2 at 50 kW and 1 at 500 kW (other being only 40
w). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

207 MOROCCO Azilal Demnate 400 kW SNRT Al Idaa Al-Watania, Nov 10 2333 - No
sign of Iceland, and just Morocco with Arabic chanting.  Very strong.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

225 POLAND Solec Kujawski 1000 kW Polskie Radio Jedynka (1st Program), Nov
10 2235 - Only fair reception, so wondering whether it's poor LW
propagation or a much weaker sender.  I can recognize Polish, but not much
else about the content tonight.  Actually, I switched over to our 2000'
Beverage/BOG and the reception is superb now! (23:09 UTC). (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

234 LUXEMBOURG Beidweiler 1500 kW RTL, Nov 10 2334 - Was very strong 30
minutes ago, but deteriorated since then to fair/good only.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

252 ALGERIA Tipaza 1500/750 kW Chaine 3, Nov 10 2339 - Very powerful with
drumming music (Chaine 3 is their French network).  Couldn't hear 837 at
this time, but parallel to their website at:
http://www.radioalgerie.dz/chaine3/. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

252 IRELAND Clarkestown 150/60 kW RTE Radio 1, Nov 10 2336 - Good reception
with EZL vocals, but cochannel much stronger Algeria!. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

828 IRAN Tabas 50 kW IRIB Sedaye Khorasan-e Jonubi, Nov 10 2217 - A
presumed logging.  I was told that the TOH in Iran is on the half-hour, but
no time pips or anything heard, but clearly mentions of Iran, and the
modulation 'sounds like Iran'.  Learning fast out here!  Fair receptions.
Entertaining hopes of hearing Magic 828 out of South Africa.  About an hour
ago, I was hearing someone in English who might have said Magic FM, but
more likely one of the UK stations. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

837 UNID Unid, Nov 10 2132 - Having trouble on this frequency.  Very
strong, but also at least 1 or 2 other cochannels.  I had assumed Iran, but
nothing happened at the bottom of the hour.  Just kept talking in a Middle
Eastern language.  Later, Spain dominated.  I started all of this by
listening for Ukraine!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1089 UNITED KINGDOM Multiple sites TalkSPORT, Nov 10 1903 - Already strong
at 3:00 PM local, with multiple transmitters not quite in sync, so
producing an interesting echo effect.  8 sites noted between 40 watts up to
400 kW.  // 1053 is marred by Libya cochannel and off frequency, 1071 is
very weak, as is 1107 (with cochannels). (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1494 UK PIRATE Laser Hot Hits, Nov 10 2215 - I suspect this answers the
unid I had a few days ago on 1494.  I had thought it might be Nonstop 90s
from Ireland, but it was pointed out that they were off the air, so must
have been LHH.  Very strong this afternoon.  I even dropped them a line,
since they were asking for reception reports.  Last few minutes, might be
having some transmitter issues, as there have been drop outs.
(Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1521 SPAIN Castellon 5 kW SER Radio Castellon, Nov 10 2147 - No sign of
Saudi Arabia tonight.  Instead, superb reception of Radio Castellon with
local programming.  Radiocastellon.com, etc.  Incredible signal for only 5
kW!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1615 HOLLAND Mike Radio, Nov 10 2020 - Very good reception from Mike Radio,
using USB which is unusual.  Played 'I can Boogie all night long', then
'Godspeed John Glenn'.  Frequent English and Dutch IDs, giving email
address.  Said he was leaving the air, but still going at 20:35.
Acknowledging European reception reports and hopefully mine, too!  Did sign
off at 20:39. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1633 PIRATES Europirates, Nov 10 1947 - Hearing them on 1633 with ongoing
music, 1717.8 but with a variable transmitter.  Drifted up to 1717.9 within
a minute and 1717.96 a few minutes later.  Seems identical to what I heard
3 years ago here!  1633 was at outstanding levels playing a ?Greek version
of Sonny and Cher's I've got you  Babe!  All of a sudden there must be at
least 10 pirates above 1600 kHz!. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1663 EUROPIRATE unid, Nov 10 2010 - Strong OC, then into Neil Diamond's
Beautiful Noise.  Very strong. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1704 SPAIN Tarifa EAC Tarifa Radio, Nov 10 2005 - In bilingual
Spanish/English.  Tarifa is located to the south west of Gibraltar. Very
strong  reception. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)

1755 SPAIN Palma (Mallorca) EAO Palma Radio, Nov 10 1942 - In bilingual
Spanish and English.  Latter ID at 19:43.  Good reception. (Salmaniw,Murray
Harbour PEI)

1767 SPAIN Cabo de Gata EAO Cabo de Gata Radio, Nov 10 1937 - Fair
reception in Spanish.  Weather report.  Located on the south coast of
Spain. (Salmaniw,Murray Harbour PEI)