[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 9-15, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page50

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** U S A. 530, re the Kansas Turnpike HAR relaying NWS Wichita Sept 9/11:

{BTW, the NWS robot pronounces the Arkansas River as ``are-KAN-zuss``, like Arkansas City. A while ago I attempted to explain the divisions between that pronunciation and ``ARE-kan-saw``, maintaining that the river is always pronounced like the state, even when flowing thru CO, KS, OK and AR. Possibly inhabitants of Kansas, especially around the City, can`t help but pronounce the river like the city, but I suspect the robot can`t tell the difference when ``reading`` text which ``looks`` exactly the same, and has been programmed to pronounce Arkansas as ``are-KAN-zuss`` wherever it may appear, regardless of context. Another argument for the employment of humans with a brain.}

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED [non]. Re: ``810, Sept 6 at 0230 UT...phone starts 615 (but not an AC which would be E Tennessee)". [suspected to be a Mexican]

And so it is: WMGC in Murfreesboro ('burb of Nashville), sporting a SS: MEX format, and known by some to cheat with day power at night. I'd bet six months pay on this. I had access to a mid-Tennessee remote receiver a few months ago; WMGC had an inordinantly loud night signal on most tries (GREG HARDISON, CA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

5000 watts day, 0006 watts night (NRC AM Log 2016 via DXLD)

** U S A. 840, Sept 15 at 1202 UT, looping N/S, peppy M&W announcers in Spanglish, mention McAllen, soon fades out, no doubt KVJY, CoL Pharr TX in the RGV. Radio-Locator linx to this website
http://informativorg.com/
which appears to be current, as Informativo RG, but R-L also calls it ``La Luz`` with an address in Austin. Neil Kazaross was getting this in Kansas City and thought there had been a format change at KVJY. Beware: there is another Luz on 840 and 101.9 FM in Guatemala. As for Spanglish, it`s hard to imagine anystation broadcasting that from the other side of the bortera (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1170, Sept 13 at 0150 UT, gospel huxter still QRMing underneath KFAQ Tulsa, i.e. WWVA OH as already identified; ``Jesus is coming back on such & such a date``, still failing to null toward KFAQ and me, presumably 50 kW ND.

1170, WWVA: I have been meaning to correct a slip on WORLD OF RADIO 1842: saying Virginia instead of West Virginia as its state of origin, if not transmission. I certainly know the difference; altho to be fair, the other one should be East Virginia. Can you imagine a Carolina and a South Carolina; a Dakota and a North Dakota, or vice versa? Axually, I seem to recall one of the Dakotas was considering co-opting the un-direxional name (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, Sept 15 at 1214 UT, peppy M&W announcers mixing English with South Asian language (Hinglish? Engjabi?), VG from SSE, i.e. KBXD Dallas --- so they have finally become a real station after stunting for months with nothing(?) but S Asian pop music. Promos/ads for somethings in the 469 area code, which is one of the overlays around 214 Dallas. 1218 UT ID as ``Radio Salaam Namaste``, introducing a music break; now losing a little to KQAM Wichita with a 2.5 Hz SAH. 1222 UT ``This is Radio Salaam, 1480 AM, Bollywood Channel`` --- sometimes leaves out the ``Namaste``. Ad for some event Sept 18 at the Irving Convention Center. Ad for bridal jewelry from Mark Samuel Jewelers. ``Radio Salaam Namaste, 1480-AM, music with a beat``; generic birthday wish.

KBXD is 50/1.9 kW, clearly on day power now. It had a hard time getting going since a rebuild, with previous religious or music formats stunting (``Wonderful K-Box``), and long spells off the air.

Googling around, it seems a station of the same name had been on 104.9 (KZMP) since at least 2008y, but no mention of an FM frequency now!
http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/radio-salaam-namaste-signals-the-growth-of-irvings-desi-community-6407056
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1480.83 & 1499.17, Sept 13 at 0144 UT, approx. spots for JBA carriers hetting 1480 and 1500 stations, presumed parasitic spurs out of some 1490 station, still detectable (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1843, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---