[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 2-8, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page50

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** NEWFOUNDLAND. 2598-USB, Sept 6 at 0223, JBA talk from one of the Canadian Coast Guard stations circa Newfoundland, unusually at the moment something here rather than 2749-USB from closer Nova Scotia vicinity. From
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Marine-Communications/RAMN-2015/Part-2-Atlantic-Facilities-Information
I put together in night-time order the scheduled marine weather UT transmission starts, ending times variable, originator and transmitter site:

2207, VCP St. John`s
2307, VOK Cartwright and/or(?) Hopedale
2317, VCF Natashquan
0007, VCP St. John`s
0048, VCP St. Lawrence
0107, VOK St. Anthony
0137, VOK Cartwright and/or(?) Hopedale
0207, VOJ Stephenville [therefore I was hearing this one]

0437, VCF Natashquan

0707, VOK St. Anthony
0737, VCP St. Lawrence
0807, VOJ Stephenville
0837, VCP St. John`s
0847, VCF Natashquan
0937, VCF Natashquan
1007, VOK Cartwright and/or(?) Hopedale
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, Sept 3 at 0302 UT, KFAQ Tulsa promo for ``big changes on Talk Radio 1170, beginning Tuesday at 5 am`` so tune in then after Labor Day --- format change from far-right talk? Dream on, but what? Here`s the schedule, pre- or post-?
http://www.1170kfaq.com/shows/lineup
KFAQ had just been getting creamed by WWVA on day pattern: see U S A (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1530, Sept 7 at 0542 UT, ``Que Buena`` ID and 918 area code ad, making SAH of 2 Hz against WCKY Brother Scare. So it`s KXTD Wagoner (Tulsa market), 5 kW direxional DAYTIMER in the middle of the night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 1170, Sept 3 at 0255 UT, I find that IBOC-less KFAQ Tulsa unusually has heavy QRM from a gospel huxter in English, and making SAH of 80/minute = one and one third Hz. On the NRD-545, I`m getting it much better on the N/S wire, i.e. minimizing signal from KFAQ, rather than the E/W ALA-330S. On the DX-398 I try to DF it, and it seems to be only slightly different than KFAQ from the ESE: about ENE/WSW. Program seems to be wrapping up, referring to a ``Restoration message`` from the ``Bible School of Prophecy, Jacksonville``, running past hourtop and of course fading before any ID can get past KFAQ; or is it a sign-off/power-down?

Now to try to locate it. There are no 1170s in Jacksonville, FL, IL, or anywhere, so that`s merely the program source. Here it is, from Florida in fact:
http://www.wordofprophecy.org/
but no station affiliate list, and link to ``Radi-O-Grams`` is something else. Dead-end there. Now to look for likely 1170s by format and DF within reasonable distance:

In NRC AM Log 2016-2017, the only REL stations on 1170 are in AL, AK, CT, KY, MS (GOS), WV. We can rule out AK and CT. Could it be WWVA, really from OH site? Normally has a big null toward KFAQ, protecting each other. Format is primarily TLK, but also REL. From
http://newsradio1170.iheart.com/
you have to go thru the Bloomdaddy (??) drop-down to get to a Religious Programming page:
http://newsradio1170.iheart.com/articles/wwvareligion-programming-page-402500/religion-7483830/
showing WWVA is in fact gospel-huxtering at night, lots of different ones, but here`s an almost-match!

``Word of Prophecy (M-F 10:30p-10:45p) [ET]
Bro. Ray Pringle, Jr.
Jacksonville, FL  32247
www.wordofprophecy.org``

Nothing specified in the 10:45-11:30 pm period, but Pringle must be running longer. This means that WWVA had to be on ND 50 kW daytime pattern until at least 11 pm local. My DF on it also fits. Quite a rarity here; in fact I don`t think I`ve ever heard WWVA in OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my log of 1170, WWVA, OH, Alan Furst, Kansas City, replies: ``Glenn, I'm pretty sure you are right about logging WWVA. We used to hear then KVOO on the studio monitors in Wheeling when WWVA was off for maintenance back in the 70s. I've only logged WWVA as far west as Indianapolis. We were told it would interfere pretty badly with Tulsa if left on day pattern. WWVA continues the 'God Block' during evenings. Big money maker.`` Worth further checking west of Wheeling (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1170, Sept 5 at 0147 UT, gospel huxter under/mixing with KFAQ Tulsa, same situation as last time when I traced it to WWVA but without an ID heard. KFAQ talk is about fishing in national parks and marine reserve areas next to them, some of the best locations.

At 0158 UT the understation is wrapping program with address P O Box 511, Lynchburg OH 45142. KFAQ seems to be in a fade helping to audiblize the other: and at 0201 UT, definite ID as ``NewsRadio 11-70, WWVA Wheeling``.

So for the duration, here`s a chance for westerners to log WWVA, altho it`s really from Ohio, not West Virginia. It must be on 50 kW ND if it can penetrate KFAQ even west of Tulsa (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1842, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1170, Sept 6 at 0226 UT, gospel huxter citing Romans XI: 19-23 under KFAQ`s anti-American talk; no doubt WWVA OH still on 50 kW ND. Or less? Alan Furst, Leeâs Summit, Missouri near Kansas City, also heard it at 0245 UT: ``I just got a confirmed log on WWVA at 9:45 PM CT as they changed church programming. Announcer clearly said WWVA with typical disclaimer. Brother Ray started at 10:45 [ET]. Good old fashioned bible pounding. Have they ever returned to three tower directional after the towers went down in a storm a few years ago? Using Wellbrook 1530 loop with AOR 7030``. I don`t know, but something certainly has just changed to get them in here.

Randy Stewart in MO wonders which stations really in WV get out to the west? Rick Dau, NE suggests 580 WCHS and 950 WBES both Charleston. Radio-locator shows WCHS major night lobe goes ESE, but does have lesser lobes; WBES with equal lobes to WNW and ESE (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1842, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1590, Sept 8 at 0532 UT, Mexican music from SSE/NNW, presumably KMIC Houston, 5/5 kW U2, R. Aleluya; couldn`t tell if the lyrix were evangelical, but likely (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

UNIDENTIFIED. 594 kHz. Since it`s not INDIA, trying to locate the source of the carrier heard here even in the daytime: September 1 between 19 and 20 UT, I park a block away from 960 KGWA 4-tower transmitter site in NW Enid, but too much noise, probably overload, to hear it at all. Due east of KGWA, I can hear 594 and the DF is still about the same from NNW, so that rules out a KGWA spur. Also about the same DF from downtown Enid. This indicates it is some distance away, and could also be SSE rather than NNW, with this bi-direxional ferrite DFing on the portable DX-398. Will check further from other areas (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Monday Sept 5 at 1155 UT, a few minutes pre-sunrise here, WKY OKC is in open carrier/dead air, because of holiday? And nulling it, I`m getting something else in Spanish making a SAH of ~6 Hz, give or take. As researched last Nov/Dec, there are only two N/W Mexicans on 930, Saltillo and Fresnillo, and there is only one US SS anywhere in the west, KAPR Douglas AZ (now that KHJ LA has got religion), tho we`re unsure exactly what format. This one is musical at first, then economic? talk mentioning both pesos and dÃlares. But at 1200 UT sharp before there is any ID, WKY revives with its own music as if it were programmed to do so. KAPR is also better positioned to get past WKY, closer to a right angle than the XEs which are also more into sunrise now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1309.70, Sept 2 at 0148 UT, JBA carrier hetting 1310 stations; another possible off-frequency to be pursued (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1480.82, Sept 5 at 0141 UT, het against 1480 stations, seems to loop ESE/WNW. Reminds me of the 1499.17 het against 1500 I have been hearing (820-830 Hz away), and would be close to a match for spurs each side out of 1490 rather than somethings off-frequency from 1480 or 1500. However, I`m sure I would have noticed the 1480+ one before when I was getting the 1500- one. But now I am not hearing the 1500- one; until 0156 UT when I can make it out weaker, and on the same bearing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1480.83 & 1499.17, Sept 8 at 0448, matching same-pitch very weak hets against 1480 and 1500 stations, surely signifying parasitic spur carriers out of one of the hundreds of 1490.0 stations --- or only dozens if we narrow it down to the ESE/WNW bearing previously obtained (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1499.17, Sept 3 at 0216 UT, JBA carrier making het against 1500 KSTP, again. I`ve been reporting this a few nights now and no replies if anyone else has heard or IDed it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Glenn: -- "1499.17, Sept 3 at 0216 UT...no replies if anyone else has heard or IDed it" â Greg Hardison, California replies:   ``I didn't have frequency measuring capabilities, but definitely heard a just-under 1 kHz het, weak on the low side of 1500, via an Athens, GA remote rig (go Dawgs!!); I believe this was on Thurs Sept 01 around 0800 UT`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1499.17, Sept 4 at 0559 UT, the off-frequency carrier hetting KSTP 1500 is still audible. This time I try to DF it with the DX-398, and get ESE/WNW (which is helpfully close to the KSTP null). Forget about WNW â there aren`t any 1500s that way. Most likely are six stations in Alabama and Georgia, 1 kW daytimers except for one 5 kW daytimer, and one fulltime with 3 watts at night. Or further afield, TN, SC, MS and FL stations. A DF fix on this from north/east America would be helpful (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Sept 2 at 0142 UT, KOKC`s stupid Savage talk show is getting heavy QRM from honky-tonk piano music, then C&W song. KOKC`s biggest rival at night is normally out-of-whack KOLM, Rochester, Minnesota, sportstalk, still such per its website. Could this be KYND, Cypress TX, which we normally hear around sunrise? Sked page is now here:
https://kyndradio.com/show-schedule/
showing `Urban Music on Air` from 6 pm to 6 am [23-05 UT] weekdays (lots but different hours on weekends) so that doesn`t fit either, unless they are talking about Urban Cowboys --- Houston market, after all. They have quite a mix of various talk shows and different kynds of music. BTW, it`s licensed as a 25 kW direxional daytimer only (18 kW Critical Hours), but no doubt the webcast runs all-night. There is no longer a misleading coverage map linked from the homepage. KYND, last logged here June 16 at 1150 UT, had a slow SAH against KOKC, but this one makes a fast SAH. Hard to DF accurately vs KOKC, but seems about ESE/WNW. By 0209 UT, KOKC, which is 10 kW ND on STA (forever?) is in another offensive talkshow, Herman Cain, and dominating, but C&W music still audible under. NRC AM Log 2016-2017 shows several little mostly daytimers with C&W formats, in AL, IL, IN, MI, MI, MO, TX, WA. By DF the only one fitting would be WTLM Opelika AL, D1 1000/CH 650 watts. If the DF was way off, it could be KQQB Stockdale TX (just SE of San Antonio), D3 2500, but application for D3 25000/CH 23000 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1580, Sept 6 at 0224 UT, ``Sounds of Silence`` atop for a while, best on E-W antenna, but not a DF fix. NRC AM Log shows several OLDie format 1580s: closest is KGAF Gainesville TX, 250 watts from the south; strongest is 10 kW CKDO Oshawa Ont. (and why not? 1610 CHHA Toronto is easy, but I`m not getting into DA patterns here). Others in AL (WVOK Oxford which was recently off-frequency but no het any more) 22 watts; FL 10 kW daytimer; GA daytimer; IN 5 watts; IA 10 watts; NC 12 watts; SC 10 watts; Rusk TX 165 watts; VA daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---