[IRCA] PSK31

Curt,

The PSK31 signal is a two tone phase shifted signal with a bandwidth of 31 hz, similar to RTTY. You have to use DSP decoding software like Hamscope to decode it. I use the Propnet PSK software http://home.earthlink.net/~propnetpsk/propnetpsk to decode the received signals. You need "low level" fixed audio output from your receiver to your computer sound card input.

As far as Propnet beacons they are mainly on 10 and 6 meters and are used to spot sporadic E (Es) propagation. The main 10 meter frequency is 28.131 kc with a +1500 hz shift. My beacon is currently off the air but there are several others operating from Florida. Sometimes I can here them on direct wave and/or back scatter but usually not. From Florida best copy is on beacons in CA, AZ, and NY.

Unfortunately even after you decode the received signal you then have to then decipher it. This site http://w2ev.rochesterny.org/PropNET/PropNET31-FAQ.htm#OnAir tells you how to do that. The software shows you the propagation beacons you are copying via a map.

The learning curve on the whole digital modes thing is big.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Plant City, FL, USA
kn4lf@xxxxxxxx

Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V
5 Foot Balanced Coaxial Loop
2 Foot Box Loop

KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com/index.htm
KN4LF MF Radio Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm

I went to your web site, have only begun to read through the material.
Before I got far, however, your PSK31 beacon caught my eye.

I've just begun playing with an RX320 PC controlled receiver and the digital
modes reception through the soundcard interface.  Your beacon sounded like a
good place to try my hand at that mode.  I tuned to 28131 MHz and got a
clear signal with no noticeable interference.  The signal is about S2.5-3.0
on my NRD535D with a calibrated S-meter.  The RX320 software implementation
uses a relative representation, 1 on a scale of 0-10 (but with a lowered
maximum from what would be used for AM BCB for example).

Next I looked for a PSK31 decoding program -- freeware -- that I could
download, and picked HamScope.  Fired it up, twiddled some things, and got..
garbage.  Decided to read the instructions.

Went back to your site, then to the PropNet site where images of the
official PSK31 program showed an example...same gibberish I had been copying
  I guess I had been successful and didn't know it.  I decided to not
download that program since I seemed to be receiving the same thing.

Anyway, if you don't mind and would save me the time up front to study this
in more detail, is there any rhyme or reason to the data received from your
beacon?  Or is it strictly for mathematical analysis to determine
propagation?  Would there be something more humanly intelligible were I to
use the PropNet program?