Re: [IRCA] Media Reform Bill Introduced

The Fairness Doctrine is something the big, corporate broadcasters would fight against; talk radio is largely conservative and anti-American nowadays. It's no wonder listeners are tuning away from commercial AM and FM radio.

The bill should have included language that would effectively end voicetracking on music-oriented radio stations; this has been a deception from Day One. Listeners are duped into believing that the DJ is coming from one city, but he or she is actually coming from another city hundreds or thousands of miles away. It also should have included language that would end the policy of "it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know" as the hiring policy of many broadcasters, especially in radio. This policy, also known as patronage and cronyism, has hurt far more people than it has ever helped. In other words, if you don't know the General Manager, Program Director or other management type, your chances of getting into broadcasting's door are practically zilch.

We need to put an end to talk radio as we know it, as well as put the illegal "shock jocks" where they belong: the unemployment line. We need to put the hard-working, "play-by-the-(FCC) rules" jocks in their rightful place: ON THE AIR.

73, Eric (N0UIH)