Re: [IRCA] WSBR 740 IBOC

The only way IBOC can be eliminated from our broadcasting lexicon is that we, as DXers, FIGHT AGAINST IT. We should present evidence that proves that IBOC cannot deliver on it's promises. They claim "FM quality sound on AM", while, in reality, the system sounds more like an Internet radio station heard via dial-up modem or a cell phone in a weak signal area. The claim of "CD quality sound on FM" is false, too. The same thing will result. FM Stereo stations are already capable of CD-quality sound, and AM stations (especially those broadcasting in far more advanced C-QUAM Stereo) are already capable of FM-quality sound. The problem is not at the transmitter plant, but at the receiving end. Five years ago, Scott Todd, a broadcast engineer from Minneapolis, submitted a petition to the FCC to require receiver manufacturers to build higher-quality receivers. Motorola's Freescale Semiconductor division has already come up with an alternative to IBOC-DAB, a receiver chip known by the marketing name "Symphony", which converts an analog signal to digital. It's being incorporated into some high-end receivers. This is far cheaper than the low-definition IBOC system.

The only way we can stop the monopolists is to keep in touch with our elected officials, and tell them to oppose forced implementation of digital radio on AM, FM and shortwave. We can make a difference if we vote IBOC supporters out of Congress in 2006, and vote in anti-corporate, anti-monopoly candidates.

73, Eric (N0UIH)