[IRCA] A New DX Opportunity: WYLL Chicago

[IRCA] A New DX Opportunity: WYLL Chicago

I have been sitting on this for several weeks, waiting for one of our
company's projects to be complete, to announce this.  One of our Chicago
stations has just completed its nighttime upgrade and is now operating at
50KW 24/7.  The project included building a new nighttime transmitter site
SW of Chicago and raising the night power from 5000 to 50000 watts.  WYLL
will continue to operate from its previous site NW of downtown Chicago
during the day.

The new nighttime pattern will be pushing the signal much harder to the
north toward Milwaukee, where in the past there had been a null.  Signal in
other directions should be similar or slightly enhanced from what it was
previously.

Below is Salem's press release about the change, released this morning:

73,
Rene'

Rene' F. Tetro,
Chief Engineer
WNTP-WFIL
Salem Communications
117 Ridge Pike
Lafayette Hill, PA  19444
Voice:  (610) 941-9560   Ext: 41
Fax:  (610) 828-8879
Email:  rtetro@xxxxxxxxx

AM 1160 WYLL Goes 50,000 Watts Around The Clock!

      CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 8, 2005--AM 1160 WYLL, Chicago's
leading Christian Teaching and Talk radio station announced that beginning
April 7, it now broadcasts at 50,000 watts day and night. Previously, the
radio station's signal strength was limited at night. With this major tower
improvement, WYLL joins a short list of powerful Chicago radio stations on
the AM band.

      WYLL's 50,000-watt daytime signal covers an area with a population
count of more than 9.0 million people. The new nighttime signal closely
mirrors the daytime coverage, reaching an area that includes nearly 8.7
million residents. The nighttime coverage area for the radio station travels
north to Racine, Wis. and south to well past Kankakee, Ill.

      David Santrella, general manager of WYLL (1160 AM) and WIND (560 AM),
said, "The implications of this for our listeners, programmers and
advertisers are tremendous. We now will be able to offer consistent service
to our listener base 24-hours a day, seven days a week, and our advertisers
and program clients also will benefit from our increased reach."

      WYLL (1160 AM) and WIND (560 AM), Salem Communications' owned and
operated radio stations, serve the Chicago market. Salem Communications
Corporation (Nasdaq:SALM), headquartered in Camarillo, Calif., is the
leading U.S. radio broadcaster focused on Christian and family-themed
programming. Upon the close of all announced transactions, the company will
own 106 radio stations, including 68 stations in 24 of the top 25 markets.
In addition to its radio properties, Salem owns Salem Radio Network(R),
which syndicates talk, news and music programming to approximately 1,900
affiliates; Salem Radio Representatives(TM), a national radio advertising
sales force; Salem Web Network(TM), a leading Internet provider of Christian
content and online streaming; and Salem Publishing(TM), a leading publisher
of Christian themed magazines. Additional information about Salem may be
accessed at the company's website, www.salem.cc.