[IRCA] Remembering Don Erickson and Others

[IRCA] Remembering Don Erickson and Others

Greeting.

I recall Don Erickson well. Rich Eddie told me lots about hime before I ever
talked with him on the telephone!

Rich got me to join NRC first and shortly after, IRCA. Rich told me many
funny stories of Don at conventions. Hw would go to resale store to purchase
old suiutcases to load his "plunder" in, and he collected credit cards from
every city he attended a convention in.

We lost Rich Eddie's veries and DX Club bullitens in 1996, and nor we lose
Don's unique collection! Two very sad losses!!! I remember Rich Eddie
telling me Don delivered the Wall Street Journal, and how crushed he was to
lose that job around 1980 or 81.

I will be 59 in November, and I was a little older than Don When Richard E.
Wood went to Hawaii in the early 1980s he left his Ford Fairmont with Don
for safekeeping. I think he was allowed to drive it too.

I know that many Dxers live solitary lives, and that is fine if it is your
choice. Everyone needs friends to come by, and check up on them. Fortunately
I will be married to the same grand lady 34 year this coming July. Pretty
lucky for a person who lived with High Functional Autism all his life, and
not knowing it until 2001.

I lost another friend recently, but she had nobody to come by, and no
obituary for 3 and a ahlf months! I detail it below.

Best and 73s! Bye, Don!,
Terry Klasek
Saint Louis, Missouri

Greeting!!!!,

I sent the following to the editor of the Saint louis Post-Dispatch several
weeks ago. Imagine my surprize when a reporter e-mail, and phoned, me for
background info for a large feature article. I sent copies of all our
e-mails, and a lot of memories. I answered his numerous questions, and put
him in touch with several other people who had non concrete proof of Evelyn
West's demise.

More e-mails and phone calls asking for more info were answered by me, and
the article is now finished. Last week a photographer came by, and took many
snaps of me with a couple of autographed pics of Evelyn West. NO, the camera
did NOT break! There will be a picture or two of me with more of Evelyn
West. Her love / hate relationship with Saint louis for over 20 years, the
Florida years, and her death.

The Post Dispatch maintains a website, and I will e-mail forward a copy of
the electronic article when it goes online 06 march. I will be getting a
dozen tear sheets for those who want an actual ink on paper copy.

Just an alert of what I have been caught up for the past three weeeks.

Cheers!!!!

Terry

Dear Editor,

It is a sad commentary on how we forget our elderly. This is especially
true  in  their final days. Case in point famous exotic stripper (exotic
dancer) Evelyn "$50,000 Treasure Chest" West.

After leaving Saint Louis in the early 1980s Evelyn West, and her manager,
Al  Charles, relocated to Hollywood, Florida. Miss West "entertained" at
several  establishments in the 1980s giving her last performance in 1987.

I found Evelyn West on E-Bay in August 2004. She was selling many of her
photo stills from the 1950s, 1950s, 1970s and 1980s. For an additional
charge she would personally autograph them. I won several.

I entered into correspondence with Evelyn West to make certain it really was
her. I asked many questions only she would be able to answer, and it was
Evelyn West! I enjoyed talking with her, and learning about the past glory
days of burlesque, the comics, and all the double meaning jokes in the skits
between the comics and strippers. My Asperger's Syndrome mind just  revelled
in all the multiple meaning jokes!

All of a sudden in mid November - nothing. I sent several e-mails, and
scanned all the newspapers that served Hollywood Florida for possible news
items or obits. All to no avail. Finally I saw someone leave her feedback
saying, "you are missed." I contacted said person, and got the sad news.

Evelyn West passed away 14 November 2004 in her sleep. She was 82 years
old. The man said he had not heard from her for two days so he called the
Hollywood, Fla. police to investigate, and they found her asleep in death.
No  paid obit ever appeared. No news item appeared. I learned that all fame
is  fleeting as I mourn my friiend. The end of an era for sure.

Terry Klasek
7449 Hazelcrest Drive
Hazelwood, Missouri
63042