[IRCA] St Augustine DX

Patty and I took off for a couple of days in St Augustine,
FL to spend New year's Eve and the next day. We had good
weather but a touch of chill in the air needing jackets.
St Aug is a great walking city and no car needed for the
time we were there. Unfortunately, no time to hop off I-95
at exit 284 and see Ron G. I took the DX398 and a small
recorder from RS that uses the old style MC-60 tapes. This
time I rigged up a kludge of RatShack cables, a mono Y-cable
using 1/8 plugs, a 1/8 to 3/32 plug adapteer to drive the
recorder, and I can tee (with the Y cable) for headphones.
I did a little DXing both day and night. but we were in a
B and B that had a lot of electrical noise. The most
unusual daytime notes is the presence of a very strong
carrier on 1610 with no modulation. I am thinking this is
Anastasia park, but just a guess. On 1340 there is someone
perhaps 150 Hz off freq. Dominant here is WROD Daytona Beach
who are somewhat louder than co-located 1450 and the het is
very prominent daytimes. My best night reception was at 1804
EST Sat 1/1 when I was sitting on the balcony and passing 1150
found a newscast with Delaware items, and then a clear WDEL ID.
I ran inside for the tape hookup but they went under, or
morphed into an ESPN station (who is ESPN on 1150?) At any
rate, Delaware in Florida is nice any day. I again note the
great difference between E and W coast in FL. Between 6 and
7 pm, the big NE stations were just rolling in. I heard WGY
very clearly, and they are nearly impossible for me in Tampa.
WBZ was very good, while Oveido dominates at home. I even had
a strong WLIB-1190. At the same time there was some interesting
Cuban reception including a Rebelde on 610 // 600 I had not
noted before. So once again the question of how much difference
between E and W coast is geographically based and how much is
propagationally based. I was hearing EE sports on 1700 and not
sure who, as I always hear SS which I think is Miami, from home.

- Bob