Re: [IRCA] Help required

> Unlike Nigel's catch, mine doesn't make any sense. I had been sitting
on
> 1670 for some time as I was hearing someone that did not fit any
published
> format. I can't remember now what the program content was, the ID
however,
> is as clear now as it was last Sunday. Around 17:15MST I heard the
> following: This is WFLA, a Clear Channel Radio Network station in
Tampa,
> Florida. Now unless WFLA has moved from 970 to 1670 without anyone
knowing I
> have no idea who this could have been. Anyone down that way have any
> suggestions as to who this could have been?
>
> Mike in St Isidore AB with AOR 7030 & 150' EWE

Here are some thoughts from me. First, as to the idea that other
stations
"relay" WFLA. I don't think anyone does this. The Sarasota 1450 did
this a couple of years ago, but they are now WSRQ and running
stand-alone. The PM drive Mon-Fri is also on WIOD-610 and originates
from Tampa. This is the Todd Schnitt show. (He is also the same guy
who does AM drive as M.J. Kelly on a local FM. But, off-topic).

There are several stations that use "WFLA" as a non-ID. mainly WFLF
on 540 in Pine Hills (Orlando). They use shared newscasters, who
have to prepare news for both markets, but these are not shared,
and don't run concurrently..

What I think may be happening is that on Saturdays from 1200-1400
local time the Cigar Dave show operates on a decent sized network,
and often (but not always) originates from WFLA studios. I think they
have a closed circuit feed for stations that pick up Cigar Dave, and it
could be that the 1670 was either waiting for a repeat of Cigar Dave,
or else found the network slate announcement and broadcast it.

WFLA carried the Devil Rays but that season is over. Their Sun eve
programming is a Limbaugh repeat until 1900, then Mark Biero
call-in talk, one hour of Jeff Fischer, and Drudge at 2200.
Drudge occasionally fills in for Schnitt, so perhaps you heard a
slate for an upcoming Drudge feed, and the Sun eve board op
at 1670 aired it by mistake.

There are two weekend possibilities, each similar to the thing
sometimes heard "CBS Radio Network channel 43" which is
nothing more than some satellite receiver feeding non-broadcast
material to air, due to board op error. The wording of the annmt
you heard sounds like this to me.

I can promise you that WFLA itself has not moved anywhere and is
still on 970. Your 1670 could be any of the assigned stations there.

- Bob, Tampa      2.5 miles from their towers.