RE: [IRCA] IBOC on KOJM

Before you call the FCC and accuse KFUO of doing something illegal, you might want to read paragraph 31 (page 12) of the FCC’s 02-286 “First Report And Order” for MM 99-325 (IBOC) where they say:

31. We modify the NRSC’s recommendation in one respect, however. During winter months,

daytime begins after morning drive time and ends before evening drive time in most markets, especially

in the northern regions of the country. The Commission has long recognized the need for AM station

operation between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and local sunrise (the “pre-sunrise” hours) and between local

sunset and 6:00 p.m. (the “post-sunset” hours). Section 73.99 of the rules provides for reduced-power

pre-sunrise and post-sunset operation by AM stations where such operation will not cause impermissible

interference to other stations. In view of the relatively low power to be employed for IBOC AM signals,

we will permit AM stations currently authorized to operate during the pre-sunrise and/or post-sunset

periods to transmit IBOC signals during those times. Stations transmitting IBOC signals during presunrise

or post-sunset hours shall operate with the power and antenna pattern authorized for the time

period.49 We believe that the potential for skywave interference during the pre-sunrise and post-sunset

hours is small, and that the benefit to the public by permitting broadcasters to implement IBOC operations

between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. during the winter months outweighs any potential interference impact.

Apparently you haven’t read this. Should I send you a URL for the Digital Radio page of the Media Division of the FCC?

Chuck