RE: [IRCA] IRCA Convention

> I want to thank Bruce Bacon and Frank Aden for hosting the
> 2004 IRCA Convention. It was a blast! It was great seeing
> everyone and the great tours of so many stations.
> Hats off to you both!  Fantastic!!!
> 73's,
> Patrick

Thanks Patrick. But I must defer the praise to Frank...he's the one who did
the majority of the leg work, planning and execution. My hat is off to Frank
for a job well done!

This was my first convention since, ahem, 1972. If I recall correctly,
Patrick, that was the last time we met. I'm happy to report that neither of
us have changed very much. If you believe that, I have some property and a
bridge I'd like to talk to you about, hi, hi!

We all had a great time, and even managed to gain three new members! Our
list of attendees looks something like this:

John Adams, Seaside OR
Frank Aden, Boise ID
Bruce Bacon, Boise ID
Phil Bytheway, Seattle WA
Mark Campbell, Boise ID
Nick Hall-Patch, Victoria BC
Patrick Martin, Warrenton OR
Curtis McMenamin, Vacaville CA
Doug Pifer,  Albany OR
Dan Riordan, Sherwood OR
Cindy Rosen, Boise ID  - New member!
Terry Rosen, Boise ID  - New member!
Mike Stonebridge, St. Isadore AB
Stan Weisbeck, Spokane WA
Dave Williams, Astoria OR

Bill Frahm, Boise ID - KBOI CE
Steve Johnston, Boise ID - KBSU CE and new member!

Personally, it was wonderful to finally put some faces to the names that
I've seen over the years. Frank arranged Friday visits to the studios of
KBOI/KTIK/KIZN/KKGL/KQFC/KZMG, KBSU/KBSX, and Saturday visits to the
transmitter sites of KBOI, KFXD, KIDO, KBSU, KGEM and KTIK. Thanks go to
Bill Frahm and Steve Johnston, chief engineers for KBOI and KBSU
respectively. And an extra thanks to Steve Johnston for explaining the
mechanics and merits of synchronous AM DXing. Steve also helped us
understand the mechanics of IBOC, a digital technique that will add
complexity and frustration to broadcast band DXing as we know it.

Phil received copies of all the pictures, and I'm sure will do a much better
job than me...but to whet your appetite, here are a few shots from the
weekend.

Frank holding the convention logo sticker (designed by Bob Wein, MIA):
http://www.mobile-designs.com/Frank.jpg

Bill Frahm discussing the merits of keeping a tidy office:
http://www.mobile-designs.com/BillTalks.jpg

Mike, Phil and Dave sabotaging the KBOI equipment racks:
http://www.mobile-designs.com/MikePhilDave.jpg

Mike broadcasting local news on KQFC:
http://www.mobile-designs.com/MikeontheMike.jpg

Phil delivering the sports report on KQFC:
http://www.mobile-designs.com/PhilontheMike.jpg

Group picture at the KBOI transmitter site. Left to right - Doug, Mike, Phil
(kneeling), Dave, Dan (kneeling) Nick, Patrick, Stan, John (kinda kneeling),
Curtis, Bruce, Frank.
http://www.mobile-designs.com/IRCA_40_Group.jpg

Watching Frank and Phil auction off what seemed to be an endless supply of
t-shirts and coffee mugs was certainly entertaining:
http://www.mobile-designs.com/PhilFrankAuction.jpg

Phil received the Rick H. Award, and Patrick the Ted V. award.
Congratulations to these two hard working and deserving IRCA members!

Saturday evening ended with the devourment of the IRCA's 40th birthday cake:
http://www.mobile-designs.com/Cake.jpg

On Sunday, the remaining attendees made the dusty trip out to our QTH for a
bbq and tech-talk. I have to admit that having Nick Hall-Patch evaluate my
QTH for antenna possibilities was a motivating factor for the bbq, hi, hi!

Thanks so much to all who attended IRCA's 40th birthday party and
convention. I know I had a great time, and hope everyone else did too.

73's from Idaho,
Bruce Bacon N7BWB

---