From: "Nick Hall-Patch" <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:34:00 PM
Subject: [IRCA] more same stations, different receiving setups

I was having some discussions with Theo Donnelly concerning the
recent posting of comparative audio files from the Rockworks DXpedition.

The files posted by Gary tended to be recordings of higher signal
levels than much of the DX more routinely heard. ÂComparing
receptions of Âstronger signals may not be the best way to compare
antennas and systems, as once a signal is a certain level, it will
tend to sound good on any receiver / antenna combination, unless one
antenna is particularly inefficient

Comparing weaker signals will more likely separate the men from the
boys. Â Gary obligingly supplied what he regarded as a weaker signal
from
Star-576:
http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/576-Star-1244z071116CCSW.MP3
and I went through my NetSDR files from that morning to see what I
was hearing at that time and
date: Â http://www3.telus.net/public/shallpat/rockworks/576_20160711_1244.wav

Now, that's a difference. Â The whip wasn't really up to the task.

Tom also supplied his reception of 576 at that
time:
<https://app.box.com/s/vusyc3zcgqepx9lhoxj7hhtqmq51bnv5>https://app.box.com/s/vusyc3zcgqepx9lhoxj7hhtqmq51bnv5
, and there we can hear the advantage of his delta loop / FLG100

This is a bit more like I expected, that the large amplified loop
would deliver superior results to the active whip (as would the
FSLs). Â ÂHaving said that, so far I've been gratified at how
relatively well the whip performed, as I primarily wanted something
that could be reasonably compared to an antenna exactly the same at
another site, and was easy to carry and deploy, and this seems to
fill the bill. Â ÂKept me out of the rain too. (I said earlier the
whip was 3'; actually it is 4'; it was already packed away when the
question was asked. ÂDetails on the whip are at:
http://www.amrad.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/actant.pdf.pdf
Although the designers praise the antenna's ability to ignore local
noise conveyed down the coax shield, I found that I needed to have
serious common mode chokes based on #75 material at either end of the
coax to minimize noise from the DXer's computers etc.)

Gary's closing Âcomment: Â "Tom and Chuck's Perseus-SDR + broadband
loop combinations can sometimes come up with weak DU's on the X-Band
that the FSL + Ultralight combos have no trace of. The mid-band
comparisons can go either way. In comparison to broadband loops, the
larger FSL's seem to have their best performance on the lower
frequencies of the MW band "

best wishes,

Nick

Kansas City, September 9 to 11. ÂHotel space is filling up.
Registration info:
http://www.nrcdxas.org