[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, June 3-9, 2016

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page48

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 780, June 9 at 1133 UT, open carrier/dead air from KSPI Stillwater. In June & July, official sunrise for this 250-watt daytimer is 1115 UT, but programming doesn`t start until 1200 UT with local talkshow (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. Re 690, KGGF Coffeyville KS, trying to figure out their new schedule, another look at their obviously incomplete and at least partially outdated ``lineup``
http://kggfradio.com/kggf-am/kggf-am-line-up
instead of a true schedule shows `When Radio Was` is already on it, contradictorily along with JimBo at the same hour, 11-midnight (04-05 UT):

``The Jim Bohannon Show (9pm-Midnight)
When Radio Was       (11pm - Midnight)`` [sic]

And further:
``Listen to the KC Chiefs, KC Royals and K-State Wildcats on KGGF!``

Since the sked doesn`t make clear whether it is for weekdays only, or not (but some programs are obviously not on weekends), I figured `WRW` might have been intended for weekends only when there be no JimBo. But not so, heard on a Wednesday night = UT Thursday. So maybe the first two hours of JimBo still show up when there is absolutely no alternative of stupid ballgames. The third hour is normally for open phones rather than with guest (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, June 6 at 0459 UT, I`m exploring what else is on frequency with KGGF nulled, i.e. favoring N/S. There`s an EWTN mention, and before 0500 UT ``New Orleans``, so it must be WQNO, which is an EWTN outlet. Also mixing with other US stations and at least two Mexicans. WQNO night pattern is tight E/W so not much signal should be reaching here to the NW. It`s 10/5 kW U4, with a CP for 9.1/2.1 U2, which will allow it to be ND daytime rather than circle tangent to the north. Callsign history shows facility 74090 became WQNO on 12/19/2012, after being WIST from 11/07/2005, and before that WTIX. See DXLD 13-35 for my previous log and discussion of its evolution (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, June 4 at 1925 UT, I`m trying to hear KGNO Dodge City KS, since I am much closer to it than usual, visiting Alva OK for the Nescatunga Arts Festival. On caradio, first try just east of Alva finds some C&W music JBA, far weaker than it should be for 5 kW ND at 161 km or 100 miles. Comparative example: 1330 KNSS Wichita, [nà KFH] also 5 kW ND in daytime, is easily heard in Enid, at 152 km or 94 miles. A few years ago I could also barely pick up KGNO daytime as far away as just north of Enid, beyond the 1390 KCRC desensitization.

Therefore I must conclude that KGNO is operating at much reduced power and/or alternative antenna; if they have an STA allowing this, I`ve yet to spot it. Has anyone? For a long time I suspected it was off the air completely (and maybe it was), until some skywave helped it April 9 and 10 around sunrise and sunset.

At 1950 UT, I`m slightly further but at a no-noise location in the Great Salt Plains NWR on the way to Artesian water fill-up and hear a PSA and Johnny Cash tune; very poor level but 1959 UT clear ID as ``1370 KGNO, THE classic country for southwest Kansas`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, June 9 at 1143-1146+ UT, KBXD Dallas TX is *still* stunting with classic country seguÃs, making ~208/minute SAH = 3.47 Hz with KQAM Wichita KS talker (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, June 3 at 0622 UT check, no sign of Tejana music from KKLF; just two stupid sports talk stations mixing, one of them Fox, no doubt KVNS TX and KBGG IA. Ward Elliott in Richardson TX has been checking out his local and reported to me May 31 at 2124 UT:

``An update about 1700, no buzz heard last night at 4:40am local time [0940 UT]. However KKLF was off the air and KVNS Brownsville sports was in clear.`` And at 0203 UT June 1: ``1700 Dallas, off air now`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---