Re: [IRCA] CBS RADIO FOR SALE?

On 3/16/2016 2:32 PM, Pete Taylor wrote:
I got this off Facebook. Hard to believe if it is true.

This is historic and very, very sad. CBS is dumping radio. The radio
news network and CBS O&O radio stations are for sale.

There is a LOT of misinformation and wild speculation floating around out there right now. Most of what I've been reading on FB and elsewhere has been way off the mark.

Here's what's happening: the CEO of CBS Corp., Les Moonves, said on an investor call yesterday that the company is *exploring* the sale of its CBS Radio division.

This division includes the O&O radio stations, 126 of them (IIRC) in 22 markets.

It does *not* include CBS Radio News, which is staffed by employees of the CBS News Division and distributed by Westwood One (which is owned by Cumulus.)

For a whole bunch of reasons, most of them having to do with taxes, it would make very little sense for CBS to start selling off individual radio stations to separate buyers, or even to sell entire clusters to buyers.

What's much more likely is that they'll spin the CBS Radio division off as a separately-traded public company (as they did with CBS' outdoor ad division), or that they might engage in a tax-preferred swap with another large company. (One possibility that's being rumored is that CBS Radio might go to Liberty Media, which has a controlling interest in SiriusXM, in exchange for Liberty's Starz cable networks.)

It's also entirely possible that CBS management will conclude that there's no benefit right now to a sale and they'll leave well enough alone.

In any event, what we now know as CBS Radio is connected only in name and a handful of big-market stations (WCBS AM-FM, WPHT/WOGL, WBBM AM-FM, KNX-KCBS-FM, KCBS/KLLC, KMOX, WCCO) to the "CBS Radio" division of years gone by. Most of today's "CBS Radio" traces its heritage back either to Westinghouse/Group W or later acquisitions from Infinity and American Radio Systems.

I wrote more extensively about what's going on at CBS in a column for my subscribers at fybush.com yesterday. I may post it to these lists if there's interest and if it can help quell some of the hysteria that seems to be surrounding yesterday's news.