Re: [IRCA] Polar Night

Our 50 kw stations aren't as strong as the Europeans who still have a number of 100-500 kw stations left. We should be hearing more of them, then they hear of us.  Unless we have some 50 kw stations that have a greater ERP due to directionality?

Other possible reasons - better antennas, more DXers, more experience, higher latitude but lower auroral latitude (would this help?), better coastal locations, less problems from IBOC.
-Aaron-

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Wrote:

One reason that northern Canada and Alaska stations are reported in Europe without a corresponding amount of Europeans being heard in western North America could be that most of the big really northern European stations are gone.  We don't have Norway 1314, Sweden 1179, Finland 963, and several of the big Russians.  Those would be the easiest Euro's to shoot over the pole into AK, BC, AB, WA, etc.  Mostly we're left with the Brits such as 1215.  Those are a bit less likely to make it up to the auroral "doughnut hole" without a bounce in the more absorptive auroral oval.