Re: [IRCA] Elad SDR question

> Hi Neil,

âI own an Elad FDM-S2, and it can certainly record, playback, and display
the entire MW band (and even greater bandwidth if desired) in an unattended
fashion. You'll see the signal strength display, the waterfall, and the
spectrum display, and you can "zoom" in for more visual detail if desired.

The particulars of doing this depend of the software you use, as you're not
limited to Elad's own program (in fact, the Elad FDM-SW2 software is my
least favorite choice; I prefer HDSDR or Studio 1).

Every SDR program I know of has either built-in scheduling / recording
features or can use a 3rd party utility to accomplish the same thing. The
utility "MESTOR" is very popular with the Perseus SDR for instance.

The recorded spectrum can be played back in any mode you like: SSB, AM,
Synchronous-AM, CW, etc.  When you are doing the recording you are not
recording "by mode". You are capturing data that represents the entire
"raw" swath of frequencies, and you can then use whatever mode, bandwidth,
AGC, noise reduction, etc. that you like, over and over again during
playback. That's a big part of the allure of SDRs is that you can try
various settings and combinations again and again, without missing any of
the DX that might be there.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA