Re: [IRCA] New Heathkit kits

Sadly, this is very true, Gary! I had to laugh when I saw the "solderless"
 screw-type circuit construction, which is evidently used instead of
soldering. Rather than being a radio worthy of the Heathkit name, it seems
to me to be more of a glorified Radio Shack Science Fair kit.

Most of the parts expense looks to have gone into the cabinetry and
controls rather than circuit design and components. For someone looking to
brush up on their soldering skills or to build their first "real" kit, I'd
suggest the Scout Regen Receiver as a starting point:

http://www.qrpkits.com/scoutregen.html

The price for the kit is a more reasonable $60 compared to the $150
Heathkit, and you are paying mostly for parts that actually contribute to
the radio's performance, not the enclosure. QRPkits has a good selection of
fairly priced and useful kits, not just for the QRP enthusiast but for
radio hobbyists in general.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA