[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, October 1-8, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page39

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or randomwire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 550, Oct 8 at 1202, kid choral NA, full ID for XEPL, ``La Super Estación`` 24h on AM and FM from Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua; 1203 into edition #41 of `Mundo del Trabajo` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 620, Oct 8 at 1202, ``La Norteñita`` ID from XEBU Chihuahua2 plus FM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 621, Oct 6 at 0621 UT, from NE/SW, a fair het upon 620 US station, must be TA carrier this late: lots of hi-power Europeans, but often-heard in the east, 100 kW RNE Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, is still pre-sunrise, which is at 0700 UT today. 300-kW RTBF Internationale, Wavre, Belgium saw sun at 0549 already, but not too late for propagation to remain from control point northwestward. This leads me to survey more 9-kHz JBA carriers at 0623-0625, all weaker than 621: 684, 693, 747, 774, 783, 882, 1008, 1125 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Oct 2 at 0153, traffic report, mentions Zaragoza, a suburb of Ciudad Juárez, plugging 6 am show here on ``Extremo 7-20``, federal PSAs for CNDH = Derechos Humanos, on its 25th anniversary, and 0155 for the Senado, i.e. XEJCC, Juárez, Chihuahua. Getting this without having to avoid WGN at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 738, Oct 7 at 0541 UT, the only JBA TA carrier I find is here, very likely the 600 kW RNE Barcelona, Spain. Checking a bit earlier than last night when I was getting several others (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 750, Oct 8 at 1208 UT, music and ``750-AM . . . Grupo Fórmula`` ID, from ~SW, separable from northerly KMMJ, NE. Trouble is, no ORF affils listed on 750 in IRCA Mexican Log, nor Cantú.
Finding any affiliates at
http://www.radioformula.com.mx/estaciones.asp
is frustrating. Could it be a US station? KAMA El Paso would fit except it`s with Univisión América (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 770, Oct 4 at 1200, Fórmula Noticias opening morning news on 85 stations across the country, members of its first network, originating at 103.3 and 970 in the DF; also plugs its presence in the USA. This is XEACH, Monterrey NL, 25/1 kW, separable from weaker KKOB or KKOB, NM with CBS News (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 800, Oct 2 at 0632 UT, no sign of XEROK Juárez; I can still hear KQCV OKC with it nulled as much as possible. Nor is XEROK evident around 1245. Now I`m wondering if it`s totally off the air, rather than just during daytime as I observed while in New Mexico last month. It would be quite ironic if one of the historic border-blasters quit AM for FM as the Mexican government encourages. That could open up 800 for some new USA stations in the Southwest, should anyone be interested in Old Technology (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 800, Oct 3 at 0510, with KQCV OKC nulled, some weak music, not the bigsig we normally get from 50 kW XEROK Ciudad Juárez, still seemingly off the air or maybe QRP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 800, Oct 5 at 0453, weak Mexican music, fast SAH making low rumble with KQCV OKC nulled. Can it be XEROK, perhaps on much reduced power from 50 kW? I shan`t be satisfied until I can get a Radio Cañón ID or something else. There are really a bunch of other XEs on 800; the only one beyond XEROK being 500/250 watt XESPN in Tijuana (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1794, DX LISTENING DIGEST) see BONAIRE!

** BONAIRE. 800, Oct 6 at 0130 UT, I am again trying to dig XEROK out of this frequency if it`s still there. KQCV 2.5/1 kW OKC dominates not only day but at night, presumably still groundwave, with a major lobe right at us from site near the southwest corner of Oklahoma county, about 72 miles.

But there is something in Spanish religion under it. Possibly XEROK, tho not its main format. Trying to null KQCV English religion on the DX-398 doesn`t help, so I compare signals on the NRD-545 with its two antennas, the ALA-330S oriented east/west, and the NVL wire oriented north/south: the understation is about the same as you would expect from a signal at some ~45 degree angle between them. Copy is tough vs the QRM, but at 0143 I make out an address announced in Spanish: P O Box 380, Miami, Florida, EEUU. (Close but no cigar to PJB`s own P O Box 388 in Kralendijk!) Then some songs/hymns.

I`m thinking it could be PJB, if not XEROK, so I check their program schedule, in AST = EDT = UT =4:
http://www.twrbonaire.com/files/372/2015-10-02%20AM-FM%20Schedule.pdf
At 0130-0145 UT weekdays is `Cruzada con Luis Palau`, the very widely syndicated evangelist, but is that his address? No, own website shows postal contact goes to Guatemala City:
http://luispalau.net/v2/contactenos.shtml

So I try a new Yahoo search on "P O Box 380, Miami" where, ajá, one of the top hits is! ---
http://www.institutoluispalau.com/manuales_pdf/manual_evangelismo.pdf
which is a 62-page pdf I will never need to read beyond page 2 where that very address is displayed.

PJB is upgrading from 100 to 450 kW, but with XEROK out of the way, this could well still be only 100 kW, and easier to identify directly. WRTH 2015 showed Spanish all evening from 0030 to 0700, and so does its current program grid; preceded by English and followed by Portuguese. Distance: 4007 km = 2390 miles (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1794, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 870, Oct 4 at 1204, 10 kW daytimer XETAR, Guachochi, Chihuahua, signing on by YL in native language, then Spanish by same YL; then another(?) native language by OM. In all cases, they must still pronounce sponsoring agency full names in Spanish: CDI [Comisión Nacional para el Desarrollo de los Pueblos Indígenas], SRCI [Sistema de Radiodifusoras Culturales Indigenistas]. Location given as Colonia El Santo in Guachochi. BTW, a few years ago the normal spelling of the town had a -c at the end (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 870, Oct 8 at 1214, a bit of local version of ``Mañanitas`` faded completely out for YL announcer to give generic birthday wishes without specific names, efemérides info, XETAR, La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara ID from Chihuahua, then brings more ``Mañanitas`` song back up (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 970, Oct 4 at 1219, ranchera music loops WSW; 1220 ID with FM and AM frequencies uncopied, 6:20 TC; 1225, ``tu estación --- ranchera``, another incomplete ID, and a long string of federal PSAs including Conociendo a México; Cámara de Diputados y Diputadas [! At last], Servicio del Emprendedor [enterprise, entrepreneur], 1227 ID for ``970 y 96.1 FM``, automated 6:27 TC, 1228 back to music. It`s XESW, Ciudad Madera, Chihuahua, greatly benefiting by departure from the 970 dial of XEJ Juárez. See my previous log of March 27 making this AM/FM match lacking in the big 3 references, and much more about it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 970, Oct 5 at 1233, report from the Suprema Corte de la Nación about its activities (not a mere PSA), M&W alternating brief items separated by two quick beeps (or Morse code I); 1235 full ID for Radio Madera, XESW and FM XHESW, Ciudad Madera, Chihuahua (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 990, Oct 4 at 1229, Mexican music loops E/W, brief Spanish announcement ``Somos ---``, and English folk music, ``Hey Ladi-Ladi-, Hey Ladi-Ladi Oh`` [sp?], 1234 ID mentions ``música Rockola``, which is the known name of XECL Mexicali BC, more folk music in English. WRTH, IRCA and Cantú strangely list it at 1.4 kW day, 3 kW night. NRC Pattern Book shows it`s all ND, but slightly larger day than night contour. By this time, no XET Monterrey to compete, altho something Spanish on 1050 is audible, maybe XED instead of XEG (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1300, Oct 7 at 0551, dominant signal is a Mexican from WSW, ``Penny Lane`` song, version with Spanish lyrix except for the title; 0553 automated TC for 11, 53 minutos; another classic rock song in Spanish; 0559 gobierno federal PSA string including Canal del Congreso, Cambio Climático; promo a Saturday 8-10 am show on Radio México Noticias; 0600 fade down for XEP ID, choral NA, fade up for more music. Modulation is a bit rough. Obviously not 200 watt night power of the Ciudad Juárez station, but as much as 38 kW day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521.0, Oct 2 at 0110, 1.0 kHz het upon KOKC OKC, i.e. the TA pilot 2-megawatt BSKSA Duba. This led me to survey the entire MW band and find a bunch of others; see UNIDENTIFIED (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521.0, Oct 4 at 0059, BSKSA Duba 2-megawatt is making a JBA het against Kim Kommando on KOKC OKC 1520.0; het a bit stronger at 0139, but nothing on 1503 and figured not enough to justify a full 9-kHz MW TA bandscan rather than more SW and 10-kHz MW tuning (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521.0, Oct 6 at 0124, JBA het from 2000 kW BSKSA Duba against 1520.0 KOKC OKC. Distance 11437 km = 7107 statute miles (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1794, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. After 1521 SAUDI ARABIA QRMing KOKC OKC, and hearing a 3-kHz het from 1503 (200 kW IRAN? or something closer but much weaker) when I am DXing wideband domestic on 1500, I step thru the entire MW band from top to bottom, aiming NE/SW with the DX-398 at 9-kHz intervals, and with its BFO as usual slightly offset, making JBA hets of the same pitch whenever there is a carrier, as I switch between USB and LSB to avoid the 10-kHz stations (but also obscuring any in -9 or -1), I do find these, Oct 2 between 0112 and 0122:

1422, 1413, 1296, 1215 (two?), 882. Trans-Atlantic MW DX has been up lately, reported even from Alberta and BC, where it`s more like trans-polar (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---