[IRCA] October 6 Victoria TP's basking in the gentle rays of the ordinary...

As Walter pointed out, this morning, the Top tier NHK benchmarks glinted
like emeralds
in a basket of pebbles - and there was little else apart from the
occasional gesture from
2nd tier and Korean hopefuls.

I listened from 1324 until 1333 UTC - not exactly my shortest stint but I
was clearly distracted
by the siren song of warm pillows, down filled duvets and the warming
reassurance of the XYL.

In order of frequency...

529Khz SQM Alaska - holding its own with Aero reports for various obscure
places up North - 1324 U

531Khz Various - a couple of carriers here vying for intelligibility but
achieving nothing  - 1324 U

558Khz Japan - NHK - assume the JJ talk in briefly - but dissolved into
nothingness - 1325 U

567Khz Japan - NHK - actually strong // 594Khz with typical JJ OM/YL back
and forth - 1325 U

603Khz Korea (t) - sombre KK OM just barely there - actual good carrier
with levels but just not enough - 1332 U

747Khz Japan - at times quite good in the splash with JJ stuff

774Khz Japan - at times very good with room filling JJ - CC lessons . Would
be cool if our National broadcaster the CBC would have language lessons
instead of poorly written comedy. Digress. 1333 U

792Khz UNid - music in the mud - did not hang around and neither did it.
1333 U

828Khz Japan - Chinese lessons to pretty darn good levels. 1334 U

972Khz Korea - Korean solemn music and moments of conversation - 1330 U

1053Khz Korea - somewhere between threshold audio and mildly annoying with
endless stuttering, entire program likely exists on a single 3.5" Floppy
disk

1566Khz Korea - Sole upper band king pin holding own with arm chair copy...
1334 U

There was no indication that this was going to bloom into a surprise
opening - I am sure there would have been more
if I dug around - but not enough energy.

Receiver - Drake R8 with W/NW Flag at 288 degrees + VACTROL remote
termination control
                  ICOM R71a with Wellbrook ALA100 N/S 9 meter loop at 12'
above ground.

--

*Colin Newell is the Editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> - Coffee.bc.ca <http://Coffee.bc.ca> and