[IRCA] Grayland 12

Between the two âcliffsiderâ DXpeditions organized by Gary DeBock I had the opportunity for another trip to the west coast visiting the Grayland Motel in Grayland, WA and a place called Sans Souci, between Yachats and Florence, OR from July 26 - 31, 2015.

Iâm still working my way through the Perseus wav files but you can get a look/listen to what I heard and uncovered so far on this webpage:

http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_grayland12.php

Highlights so far include; a nice ID on Samoa on 540, Kiribati on 1440 with their National Anthem at 1000utc s/off, Fiji on 558 and a bunch of Aussie & NZ stations.

This time Murphy stayed away and I was able to get three concurrent days of wav files from Grayland and Sans Souci for later comparison of conditions.  Based on a limited sample of the past 3 years of the same situation it appears that Sans Souci is more conducive to Aussie reception than Grayland.  Weâll see how this yearâs stats feed into that conclusion.

Antennas used at both locations were 160â DKAZ pointing at 230-250 deg with a fixed, 902 Ohm terminal resistance [Rt] in Sans Souci and a variable, vactrol Rt in Grayland.  If youâre into EZNEC modeling, both antennas used 20 gauge wire.

Bill Whitacre
Alexandria, VA