Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:06 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: [IRCA] Station #500!

My 7' x 24' corner-terminated Superloop has been performing well, and
thanks mostly to many broadband SDR recordings, I've been logging quite a
few new stations this month.  I had the loop set up pointed 150 degrees
into Mexico, and fittingly my 500th station was indeed Mexican, 600 XEHW,
Mazatlan, Sinaloa.  (Although the Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones
list the city as Chametla, the final version of Fred Cantu's list as well
as the station itself say Mazatlan.)  After getting #499 on a TOH recording
(630 KSLR San Antonio TX), I intentionally tried to get #500 live and got
lucky with a nice clear call for both XEHW and the FM counterpart XHHW at
1:04am MST (0804UT).  First Mexican on the frequency, and while I'm not
sure who to believe as far as the transmitter location, this was something
like 880 miles away at allegedly 1kW.  I was also getting 1050 and 1180 out
of La Paz, BCS across the Gulfo from Mazatlan.

Wasn't sure I would get this far after starting last August, but I'm still
enjoying this and it's much better than I ever did when I was DXing way
back in high school.  I'll post some stats later and audio, but one quick
stat is that I have recordings of call letters from more than 400 of the
stations.

Brian Rachford - Prescott, AZ
azswdxing@xxxxxxxxx
http://azswdxing.wordpress.com/