[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 10-16, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page33

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2749-USB, April 11 at 0102, very poor signal but YL voice, presumably marine weather; then I check 2598-USB and hear more of same, probably not //, both too weak to read --- but first time I`ve heard either in months, not all winter, so suspected the Canadian Coast Guard may have closed them, but Bill Hepburn confirmed they were still on. His listings
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm
show these must have been, on shared frequencies, at this hour:
2749, VCO,   Sydney NS, starting at 0040
2598, VCP-4, Placentia NL, starting at 0048
(Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1769, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

============

** OKLAHOMA. 960, April 12 at 0100-0105 UT, KGWA Enid with unexpected Fox-hole of dead air, audiblizing KGKL: See U S A 960 log (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1520, April 10 at 0057 UT, syndicated paranoid talkshow loops toward OKC, so KOKC already back on the air again? Only fair signal with plenty of QRM, KOLM et al. Yes, 0059 UT ID ``News-Talk 1520, K-OKC, Oklahoma City, 1560 KEBC Del City`` and into (bong) CBS News. So have KOKC finished the reconstruxion already? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also USA: 1560

** OKLAHOMA. 1520, April 10 at 1320 UT, KOKC remains on air, and IDs as ``Your 50,000-watt news source, News-talk 1520, KOKC`` --- NOT HARDLY --- as we all know (but not ordinary listeners?), it`s not been 50 kW for at least a couple of years, but 12.5 and now only 10 kW. THEY LIE. Also at this hour with SAH from remnant of CRI via KYND TX. Slightly different angles allow KOKC to be minimized and KYND maximized by precise positioning of the DX-398 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1769, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1560, April 10 at 1820 UT on caradio, KEBC Del City is once again back on its own, no longer duplicating 1520 KOKC, where rebuild of a single tower must now be complete. Instead on 1560 I am hearing Oklahoma high school sports promos (same one twice?), and Oklahoma Dept of Health PSA, 1822 UT rejoining NBC Sports Radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===============

** U S A. 720, April 14 at 1240 UT, half a sesquihour after sunrise here, I start scanning MW from the bottom to find what`s still skywaving: here in Spanish is `Trabajos`, quick call-ins offering day-jobs such as ``decking, stucco, yardero`` with phone numbers mostly in 210 area code. Bits of music interspersed. Obviously KSAH Universal City (San Antonio) TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 12 at 0101 UT, local KGWA Enid is in another Fox-hole! I.e. dead air during Fox newscast which we often find at local midnite 0500-0505 UT. I`ve long suspected there could be others, but have better things to do than monitor KGWA constantly.

Anyhow, I can now hear something clearly with it nulled: GEICO ad and back to a silly baseball game, batter being some guy Hernández (ergo a multi-millionaire), finished already at 0103 (strike out?), and ID as Rangers Radio Network. That`s all I need. See affiliate map/list at:
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/tex/download/y2015/radio_network.pdf
showing the only 960 is KGKL San Angelo TX (which I also have often heard in the other Fox-hole with ABC News). The only other 960 in TX is KIMP, but not on the list, which it could have been as the Rangers do have a few Spanish affiliates too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 970, April 16 at 0620 UT, ad mentioning `Red Eye Radio`, loops NNE/SSW, i.e. WDAY Fargo ND, which is 10/10 kW U4. Another affiliate, less likely, is WMAY Springfield IL, among several further RER affils listed in the NRC AM Log. Originally a show specifically for truckers, now for all right-wing fantatix (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1500, April 12 at 0104 UT, with KSTP nulled, CBS News making SAH of about 3 Hz; 0105 right into NWS automaton with local weather for ``Denison and surrounding locations``. Some nostalgic music and full sign-off by KJIM, Sherman TX, with 1000 watts power, owner and address, ``now leave the air`` until 6 am with CBS News, and ``the best songs and memories on the radio``.

Official April SS/SR for KJIM are 0100/1200 UT (May: 0115/1130), so they figure it`s OK to run 7 minutes over. As for 6 am = 1100 UT, that would be their 500-watt PSRA, which is valid only April thru July. FCC Correspondence shows KJIM also has a hefty PSSA of 5 or 6 watts during the first quarter-hour post-sunset in May-June-July only, then boost up to a thrice-as-hefty 16 watts for the rest of the two hours. Really? All other months, their PSSA power is 0.0 watts. My second-closest 1500, not new, but always nice to hear this good local station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. After hearing KOKC reactivated on 1520 but still announcing duplication on KEBC 1560, I also try to match it, but April 10 at 0101 UT, 1560 is already dominated by some skywaving gospel huxter, looping slightly clockwise from N/S --- at first I think of KKAA Aberdeen SD, 10/10 kW U4 Family Radio, but more likely it`s closer and clockwiser Wilkins` KLNG Council Bluffs IA, 10 kW ND daytimer. Into a rendition of ``Deep River``, but gone by 0103 UT. Indeed, KLNG`s official April sunset is 0100 UT (May: 0130 UT) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, April 15 at 0553 UT, seems there is a carrier vs Brother Scare on WCKY; first think it`s Colorado from the NW, but then with WCKY minimized, promo for ``24 hours on 100.9 FM and 1530 AM; 0558 UT listing upcoming Christian events in the Little Rock and Pine Bluff areas, so once again it`s 2.5 kW daytimer KVDW England AR, which apparently believes it`s OK to run the AM 24 hours as well as the FM translator. Seems a bit undermodulated, unless there really is also a CO carrier suppressing KVDW as well as overcoming The Overcomer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 1620, April 10 at 0558 UT, I find that R. Rebelde, CUBA is unusually dominant, but nulling it I hear some rock music past hourtop, later non-ID by YL as ``double-play on U-93``. Therefore it`s WDND South Bend IN, which, BION, AFAIK has never been logged here before (I don`t keep a master log, but searching out my archived log reports this century). NRC AM Log shows WDND relays FM 92.9 by that name, really WNDV. 1620 is normally occupied here by news/talker WTAW TX and sportster KOZN NE, if not Cuba. Where are they? At next hourtop 0659 UT, I do pull out a WTAW ID amid the QRM, so it`s still there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1670, April 12 at 0527 UT, sports talk looping almost E/W, toward ENE/WSW, definitely not from NNE/SSW, which would be the usual occupant WOZN Madison WI. Besides, this IDs as Fox Sports Radio at 0530 UT and talk continues, while Madison is CBS Sports. Therefore it is either KNRO in Redding CA or WPLA Dry Branch (Macon) GA, both FSR affils. I must go with GA as far more likely here; too bad there was no echo signifying them both. Meanwhile northerly Madison is quite weakened, barely audible with this nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, April 15 at 0546 UT, Thom Hartmann promoing his program on WPRR, 0547 UT back to the ``Grand Rapids studio`` referring to an AP story. At peak, signal about equal to musical KRJO Monroe LA, mutually nullable, fast SAH between them. Didn`t catch time for Thom, but WPRR sked shows weekdays 9 am [EDT = 1300 UT], ``Renaissance thinking about the issues of our day with host Thom Hartmann``, via that hotbed of liberalism, Ada/Grand Rapids MI.

But as we`ve found before, the WPRR program list is outdated, while the date-by-date program grid is presumably accurate, showing something else at 9 am; instead, Thom at 1-2 pm EDT M-F [17-18 UT], and later a different title, so different show or really a repeat? `Big Picture with Thom Hartmann` at 1-2 am Tue-Sat [05-06 UT]. I guess it`s different, originally at 9 pm [01 UT], ``Hosted by Thom Hartmann, the nation`s leading progressive radio and television host, The Big Picture presents news, opinions and debates on all of the most important topics [that] affect the world and your life.`` Hmm, this should have been what I was hearing at 0546 UT.

A few months ago we also used to run across Thom on Enid`s public access cable TV channel, with his arm in a sling. Here`s the current week`s program schedule, lots more good stuff:
http://www.publicrealityradio.org/schedule
and they do webcast,
http://player.liquidcompass.net/p/WPRRAM
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2660+, April 11 at 0103 UT, some music audible and slightly on the hi side, i.e. 2 x 1330 harmonic of KGLD Tyler TX. The 2 MHz band noise level is surprisingly low (see also CANADA), so I step thru the frequencies with offset BFO for possible other MW harmonics to pursue: JBA carriers on 2840, 2680, 2620, 2610, 2520, i.a. But some of these could be SW mixing products within the DX-398 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1320, April 14 at 1249 UT, ``107.9`` in English mentioned in QRM, soon losing to something in Spanish, and usual LAH caused I think by my closest, KCLI, Clinton OK. Eyeballing thru the NRC AM Log 1320 listings, I don`t find any translator or other // on 107.9 mentioned. So let`s search thru all the WTFDA FM Database 107.9 listings, whether there are any matches with a 1320 station? Yes!

KELQ Flandreau SD with KELO 107.9 Sioux Falls.
W300BL Manchester TN with ``Thunder 1320`` [WMSR].
Certainly KELQ would be the one audible here on SRS. I remember from TVDXing of KELO or some SD station, that Flandreau is pronounced Flan-drew.

However, when hunting thru the NRC Log I noticed a 107.1, possibly misheard as 107.9? That would be KVMC 1320 Colorado City TX, // KAUM 107.1 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610, April 14 at 0530 UT, open carrier with hum loops NE/SW, a new TIS transmitter around here? Not strong but too much and too steady to be CHHA Toronto. Not there when rechecked after sunrise circa 1300 UT. Possibly a local device, but haven`t heard it on 1610 before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---