From: Les Rayburn
<les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Recorded
AM BCB Logs made with ELAD FDM-S2
	Receiver???.

Welcome to the world of SDR DXing. Quite agree that the manuals
(of all
the SDR receivers) leave a lot to be desired. The rapid pace of

development and software enhancements leaves little time to write
detailed
manuals, I'm afraid. Developers now seem to rely more on User
Groups, forums,
etc. to allow users to help each other. That system
works well, but it takes
some getting used to.

Allow me to share some tips given to me by AM DX'er
James Niven when I
started with my Elad SDR. They've proven to be very
helpful. First of
all, make sure that you subscribe to the Elad Yahoo Group,
and update
your software frequently. Enhancements and improvements appear
quite
rapidly. Sometimes within hours of a feature being requested by a user

on the Yahoo Group! The latest software can be downloaded
at:

http://sdr.eladit.com/FDM-sw2%20Software/

I successfully have mine
setup for TOH recordings across the whole broadcast band.

I am still
experimenting with different settings, but I seem to be happy with the file size
set at 2048mb and set to 1 file.

For the recording schedule, I started with
this recording configuration:

I start recording 2 minutes before the
TOH 00:58, then finishing at 5 minutes past the hour, I found the file size very
large.

I then tried recording from 00:58 to 00:03, so 5 minutes, still a
large file but enough to look at every frequency in the AM band for
TOH.

Also, how I set mine up is change the CW to AM, then the LO frequency, I
set to 1120.000 kHz and the tuned frequency to 540.000 kHz. This will give you
the whole AM band
and when you begin reviewing your files, it will start at
540khz, this is my method and approach.

James Niven

Austin, Texas

Also
keep in mind that the Elad FDM-S2 will work with more than one
piece of
software. This is the beauty of an SDR, you're not limited to
using the
manufactures software exclusively. One of the easiest to use
and master
software packages for SDR is Simon Brown?s SDR-Console V2
software
(www.sdr-radio.com) It's free, and easier to use than most.
HDSDR is another
software application that works well with the Elad. You
may want to experiment
with them to see if you enjoy them more.

Recommend this detailed review of
the Elad as well. It's full of
suggestions on how to use the software, and do
some great things with
the receiver. Hope you enjoy the ride, it's changed my
DX life
forever.

http://swling.com/blog/2014/12/a-review-of-the-elad-fdm-s2-software-defined-receiver/

--

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium
Wave DX Circle
Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

Elad FDM-S2 SDR,
SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop, LF
Engineering Active
Whips,
Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW
Pre-Selector