Re: [IRCA] 1st NEW STN on 1400 Khz since 1982!!! WDNY Dansville, NEW YORK

--- Begin Message ---
Only if your antenna is very inefficient (e.g. car roof broadband loop or whip) would any sensitivity advantage of the AOR 7030+, Drake R8B, or various Icom and JRC (or for that matter Collins or Hammarlund) models over the Perseus make any difference.

The solution is simple: use a low-noise preamp ahead of the Perseus.  The DX Engineering RPA-1 is one I have used with small antennas.  There are also good models from Clifton Laboratories.

These are very good amps:
http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rpa-1
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/norton_amplifier.htm

A broadband loop antenna as small as 2m x 2m (6.6 x 6.6 ft.) delivers good DX to the Perseus, at least at shore sites.  This is because of low noise preamplification.
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm

If you are in an urban area, insert an L-C tank tuning circuit between the antenna and preamp.  Of course that takes away wideband capture ability but will lessen the incidence of overload / spurs while maintaining good desired-frequency sensitivity.

Of course Les is correct about the "killer app" of SDR's - spectrum storage for later playback.  The recent run of auroral conditions in the northeastern states has shown the productivity boost band-capture provides.  New England DXers such as Bruce Conti, Bill Nollman, Stephen Wood, and myself have been cleaning up on Latin Americans that would have otherwise been passed by in a "too much DX, too little time" scenario if we were still doing it old-school with conventional receivers.

When I got my SDR-IQ around 2007 and the Perseus in 2009, sunset beach DXpeditioning became far more efficient: scrape up a couple of top-of-hour captures while parked at the beach and then go back home and spend the next couple of weeks sorting it out.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA

<<
From: Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Welcome to the dark side, indeed.

Those of us who live in
the "middle" and especially those of us who live
in suburban neighborhoods
would never see the ever-so slight sensitivity
advantage of an AOR 7030+. The
AOR 7030+ and the Drake R8B have another
intangible in their favor, they just
sound "amazing"--and are easy to
listen to for hours.

But I think price has
to also be considered in the equation. You can
purchase a brand new Elad
FDM-S2 for $539, while the AOR 7030+ is
selling for $1,500 on ebay. Buy the
Elad, a decent sound card and
speakers for your computer--and enjoy the fact
that you've made a smart
decision--and your DXing will never suffer.

And no
conventional receiver will ever be able to record raw I/Q of the
entire AM
band overnight, effectively allowing you to "preserve" an
opening for years to
come. I recorded a lot of the recent auroral
conditions, and happily spent
hours during the middle of the day
reviewing them already. Try that with an
AOR 7030+.

http://shop.elad-usa.com/

--
73,

Les Rayburn,
N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
Former CPC
Chairman for NRC/IRCA

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke
ALA-1530+ loop, LF
Engineering Active Whips,
Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop,
Palstar MW Pre-Selector