[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 20-26, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page32

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, March 23 at 2005 UT, as far as I can tell on caradio and later on the DX-398, KETU Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is no longer on the air with open carrier dead air. It had been audible since mid-January into mid-March on daytime groundwave, weakening as time wore on. Maybe they were just waiting for the unattended transmitter to crash off (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, March 20 at 0403 UT, KFAQ Tulsa is all messed up: during a newscast, double audio at same level, playing at least one complete commercial for something at 51st & Harvard, obviously local and not QRM from another station. Add this to the transmitter problems I have recently logged again; serves them right, couldn`t happen to a nicer station purveying far right extremism from Glenn Beck, Mark Levin, Michael Savage (and the rest of them are on KRMG), plus IBOC noise day and night (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, March 20 at 0608 UT, open carrier/dead air for at least a minute looping E/W, obviously KGYN Guymon (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. KFOR TV [RF 27] is reporting at 0037 UT March 26 that a tornado just hit Moore OK, and knocked down two of the three KOKC-1520 towers. They were probably using only one of them on 12 kW ND STA. Always QRM at night, but checked at 0040 UT, 1520 does seem to be off the air. Other AMs in the Moore area, KWPN 640 and KTOK 1000 are still on.

Enid is well out of the storm area tonight, but the cold (straight) winds are really howling.

Follow-up with video on KFOR at 0045 UT: two towers on ground and the third is broken, the top part hanging down by the bottom part. F2 rated tornado, estimates Mike Morgan, 200 yards wide.

At 0118 UT, KFOR reports that ``KOMA`` (old habits die hard) is switching to 103.1 and 1560 AM. meaning I assume KOKC programming taking over KEBC 1560, and 103.1 is already the KOKC FM translator. (Glenn Hauser, Enid, from three ASAP posts to MW DX and general DX groups, as well as dxldyg, via WORLD OF RADIO 1766, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. Next morning, March 26, awake almost an hour after sunrise, I check for what`s happening on 1520 and 1560:

1520, KOKC is definitely off; might have heard CRI via 25 kW KYND Cypress (Houston) TX a bit earlier without KOKC in the way. By 1338 UT a weak signal is audible, M&W in English, probably that.

1560: at 1323 UT March 26, mix of two stations, but sports talk is much stronger: no doubt 46 kW KGOW Bellaire (Houston) TX. The understation is KEBC Del City (OKC), which was also sports talk on a different network, but now coöpted for KOKC programming. OKC and Houston are virtually the same azimuth from here, so cannot separate them by nulling.

By 1326 UT, KEBC is gaining a little, so I can make out the ``apology`` replayed from the SAE guy, with clips from News 9 (KWTV-39). At 1328 UT a bit of Spanish in the mix, probably XEJPV Juárez. At 1343 UT, KGOW is atop again, more than an hour after sunrise here. 1352 UT still CCI; 1357 UT the SAE story yet again; 1359 hear an ID only for ``1520 KOKC``, CBS bong and news, but could not make out the full ID. An hour later at 1459 UT, KGOW is finally all gone, as I copy ``News-talk 1520, K-OKC, Oklahoma City, 1560 KEBC, Del City``, 10 o`clock``. So they are legal with the IDs.

KEBC is 1000/250 watts U4, was on NBC Sports network, certainly dispensable under the circumstances; unknown what`s on its FM translator as in NRC AM Log, K225BN, 92.9, maybe still sportstalk, ``The Franchise 2``? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I wasted time trying to find any 1520 video on the KFOR.com site, but:

To see the damage to KOKC's towers go to
http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/92457/kokc-towers-destroyed-in-tornado/
(Richard Allen, near Perry OK, IRCA via DXLD)

Here is a video report:
http://www.news9.com/story/28621100/cleanup-begins-after-severe-storms-rip-through-oklahoma

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1298641-tornado-damages-koma-tower-in-oklahoma/

They have also been in the middle of a major rehab of the station:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=5425
(Artie Bigley, OH, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, March 20 at 0440 UT, I notice that local KZLS is playing country music rather than far-right talk, soon ID as ``Hank FM``, i.e. its sibling station which was originally KZLS in Mustang OK, on 99.7, now hank spelt backwards, KNAH. I can still get the latter altho with ACI from our new LPFM on 99.9, but it`s NOT // 1640 --- totally different music playing, not merely unsynchronized. So 1640 is still not all-talk, as misleading x-band listings such as in NZ DX Times continue to assert, ignoring my inconvenient observations from the scene (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. 760, March 22 at 0136 UT, gospel huxter. Surely not WJR in the subauroral zone as even Chicagoans are outblacked. That leaves nothing but KCCV Overland Park KS, BOTTly religious. Night power is supposedly only 200 watts, but day power 10 kW has a lobe right at us (which is quite marginal on groundwave, almost 300 miles) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 830, March 21 at 0550 UT, Spanish ID as ``830 AM, La que sorprende``, and loops SE, so presumably WFNO in Norco LA. Looking up its listing in NRC AM Log, I may have misheard the slogan shown there, ``La Caliente 830 AM``. Is 5000/750 U4. Used to be a nuisance for WCCO but mutually nullable from this angle. Now WCCO is gone with the aurora, and with WFNO nulled instead hear another SS, no doubt a Mexican. XEIK Piedras Negras is closest, but allegedly a 5 kW daytimer; biggest one is 25/5 kW, XEITE, R. Capital in the DF (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, March 20 at 0427 UT, Spanish music, probably praise, dominant instead of WLS, nevertheless English non-ID as ``You are listening to the Christian Radio Network``, i.e. KVOZ in Del Mar Hills TX, i.e. Laredo market. So I see if I can make a // on sibling station:

1210, March 20 at 0427 UT, nulling KGYN with a silly ballgame as much as possible, can barely make music // 890, i.e. KUBR San Juan TX, i.e. McAllen market in the RGV. By 0435 UT recheck, KUBR`s peppy music overcomes KGYN, now stronger than 890 and not synchronized (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 980, March 22 at 1308 UT, YL sports talk from ENE/WSW, and a word or two behind stronger // 1010. Per KAZ tip, it`s KICA Clovis NM, reactivated and now a satellite of KTNZ Amarillo with ESPN. KICA is 1400/172 watts U1. Constant QRM from 2 or 3 other stations in other direxions, but several minutes later at 1330 UT kept getting the delayed // with 1010 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, March 22 at 0557 UT, EWTN programming in English, loops NW/SE, no doubt KRCN Longmont CO, and also noticed a few hours earlier around 0140, so on 50 kW day power again instead of 111 watts night. Plenty of QRM, notably off-frequency KIJN and XERDO, but holds its own unless nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, March 22 at 0615 UT, Fox Sports Radio promoting some app for radio on phone, 0617 UT promo jobs at FSR by phoning 972-977-2239 (Dallas overlay), another app, promo Fox Sports One [TV]. Loops E/W, no doubt KVOP Plainview TX again, which http://plainviewradio.com/1090.php shows does carry FSR at 6 pm-midnight weekdays, but Texas Overnight after midnight. BUT no schedule at all on site for weekends! Who cares? Maybe they plug into FSR and forget it till Monday morning (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, March 22 at 1312 UT, song called ``Woman``, ID as ``Your classic rock station, Eagle 100.5`` during its ``multi-platinum weekend``; 1316 UT outro as ``Dirty White Boy``. Adstring including something on NBC(TV) Saturday night April 11; Ashley (?) Furniture Home Store offering ``free`` HDTVs with large furniture purchases; 1321 UT another slogan ID as above, never any mention of 1110. 1327 UT losing out to Spanish, probably XEWR Juárez. Both looping ENE/WSW.

Prime suspect is the Humble City NM (Hobbs market) station in NRC AM Log, 5 kW daytimer KYKK, listed as Talk/Sport format with a translator tail on 100.5, K263AZ wagging the dog of 1110. Wikipedia informs that it has now morphed into KEJL, with same translator and branding as Eagle 100.5; same company has KYKK now on 95.7 with classic rock. FCC AM Query for Facility 48593 shows 1110 changed from KYKK to KPER on Aug 21, 2014, and again from KPER to KEJL on Sept 1. I had previously logged 1110 when it was still KYKK, March 5, 2014 at 1345 UT as in DXLD 14-10. Humble March sunrise is 1300 UT; April 1230 UT. {KEJL as in ``Eajle``??}

Alternative searching on ``Eagle 100.5`` goes right to Jonesboro AR, but the nearest AR station on 1110 is in Clinton, a bit too far away. BTW, NRC Log has yet another ``Eagle`` on 1110, WSLM Salem NH but it goes with a 102.9 translator (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, March 24 at 0055 UT, gospel huxter in English is atop KMOX, and DF for N/S, so no doubt KTXW Manor TX (Austin). Power suddenly drops mid-sentence at 0056:45 as must have switched to night power and pattern, i.e. 5600/155 watts U4. Same speaker still weakly audible. Oops: official sunset in March is 0045 UT, so a little late! April: 0100 UT. No Catoosa in the way: see OKLAHOMA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, March 24 at 1257 UT, Spanish from E/W, 1303 UT ID as ``Radio Las Américas, 11-40``; 1306 UT news about plane crash in Alps, 1308 UT back to romantic music. This is the radio station named for a grocery store, KLTK, Centerton (Rogers) AR, 5 kW ND daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1180, March 22 at 1240 UT, one clue in the CCI, mention of ``105-5``, loops E/W, definitely not N/S as in Omaha. A very good clue leading to the very first entry in the NRC AM Log for 1180, WUMY, Turrell AR (Memphis TN market), 5000/26 watts U7 // W288BJ on 105.5, slogans as ``Y-105.5`` and ``Big Country``. No other 105.5 matches on 1180. You`d think with a COL in AR, it would get a K-call, and Radio-locator shows the site is barely in AR west of the River. Official sunrise in March is 1215 UT; April, 1130 UT.

{WUMY? That sounds familiar, on another frequency. Yes, FCC AM Query for facility 33672 shows WUMY was the 830 call from Jan 18, 2013 until it changed to WGUE on January 15, 2014; I`ve heard it as both} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, March 25 at 0610 UT, slightly atop heavy QRM and peaking roughly E-W, ``Killer Kountry 11-90``; call which followed sounded like KKGD, but obviously that slogan was really KQQZ, De Soto (St Louis) MO, 10000/22 watts, transmitter probably in IL. What, 22 watts at night? No way (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, March 23 at 1952 UT I`m doing a MW bandscan while waiting in the parking lot of a strip mall store in western Enid, known to be a fairly good DX hotspot {however, now there is a line-noise band from 720 to 840, so no WGN checking}.

On 1200 I do hear a JBA signal talking in English. WOAI? Fades down, back up a little at 1959 UT but not enough for ID; after some net news it fades in better at 2004 UT to provide several clear WOAI San Antonio IDs! This is only a sesquihour after local mean noon, and more than three sesquihours before sunset. I don`t see how it could be groundwave, especially with the fading, so remnant skywave is still funxional even from the south where the sun is higher. Distance from Elmendorf to Enid is 796 km = 494 miles.

The only other 1200 anywhere around here is half that distance to the ENE, KYOO, 1 kW daytimer with C&W in Bolivar, southwest Missouri, which I have yet to log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1240+, March 20 at 0410 UT I am still detecting a low audio het from some off-frequency graveyarder, looping WNW/ESE, a prime suspect being KCRT Trinidad CO. First noticed this in early January, and no one has replied to my inquiries. At this time 1240 caught my attention since somestation had momentarily peaked covering some sillyballgame in English, maybe only Wichita (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1340, March 22 at 0119 UT, traditional beer/tear country song atop the jumble, such that I can get a pretty good bearing on it, NNW/SSE. 0120 UT overtaken by CBS Sports Radio with an 855 number.

The two are virtually the same DF, or opposites. I figure the CBS SR is KGHM in OKC, my nearest and daytime occupant, but I have never paid attention to which network it`s on, and NRC AM Log shows FSR and NBC. CBS Sports station finder which searches well once it loads, for 1340 unshows any Okie, and only one close to the proper DF: KRMD Shreveport / Bossier City LA.

Now how about the country music? Assuming it`s from an adjacent or second adjacent state, in the NRC AM Log, the only such Texan is KAND in Corsicana, ``Real Country``. Second choice, but certainly less likely considering the auroral conditions, is from the NNW, KSID in Sidney, Nebraska. KRMD and KAND are neighbors on the 1340 map, nothing between them, and also the closest ones beyond OKC (Hugo being silent). All this of course is not enough for a definite ID of either (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, March 24 at 1242 UT, weak monolog in Spanish loops about N/S, and a LAH. In the NRC AM Log, two of the four Texans are SS: KBRN Boerne (Corpus), news/talk; and KMXO Merkel (between Abilene & Sweetwater), religion: both 250 watt daytimers. There are also three Mexicans, closest being XEJQ, la Explosiva, Parras de la Fuente, Coahuila, 400 watt daytimer, but very likely it`s one of the tejanas. Aha: official FCC sunrise in March for KBRN is not until 1245 UT, ditto KMXO, so that`s no help in separating them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---