Re: [IRCA] 1250

KWSU holds a special place in my DXing annals.  Back in the late 1980s and on into the early days of 1991, I lived on my parents' farm just to the east of Council Bluffs, Iowa.  I had a "Most Wanted" list of stations from all around the country that I had targeted, and 3 of them were KWSU-1250, KOAC-550, and KUAT (now KUAZ)-1550.  In short, the 3 NPR stations on AM that broadcast from Pac-10 universities.  The last of those I got with little trouble, as it was a regular visitor at Tuscon sunset every winter.  I never did get KOAC.  But KWSU paid a visit to the farmhouse in the wee hours of January 7, 1991, just 5 days before I moved off the farm and 200 miles east to Iowa City.  At 0200 Central Time, I got a faint reception of KWSU's sign-off, which included mentions of  "...now ends another broadcast day..." and "KWSU is located...".   1133 miles from transmitter to QTH, across the Rockies at 5 kw on a crowded regional channel.  Needless to say, it was my best catch ever from the farm.  73,Rick DauSouth Omaha, Nebraska  EN21af

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 17:28:40 -0800
From: walkerbroadcasting@xxxxxxxxx
To: am@xxxxxxxxxxx; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [NRC-AM] 1250

Another new logging for me.. this one at about 600 miles to my northeast.
The signal was very weak and almost buried in the mud at times, but heard a mention or two of NPR and their typical delivery style  during news reports.. so this would be KWSU Pullamn, WA
Caught just about  5:20 pm or so, still on day power.
Paul WalkerRedding, CA Sangean ATS909x