[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 27-March 5, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:Â
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page31

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, March 3 at 0124 UT, early/baroque music catches my ear, from the NE/SW, must be CHHA Toronto, in better than usual.
http://chha1610am.ca/program/
schedule shows 8-9 pm ET is still supposed to be Portuguese. At 0127 UT I notice an especially heavy bass beat strumming, 0129 UT into rap, 0131 UT tones/IS and English ``CHHA 1610-AM`` ID. At 0655 UT I am again getting a heavy bass beat, tune recognizable as ``Tristeza nÃo tem fim`` from Orfeu Negro by Jobim. The 12-6 am ET span is merely `Latin Music Mix` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Feb 27 at 0146 UT, and several other times lately, as I am rotating the DX-398 on my easel checking for DX in stronger station nulls, I keep finding KZLS nulling and thus peaking in a wrong direxion. It`s supposed to be about the same as OKC stations to the SSE altho less than half as far, east of Hennessey, but I keep getting a null considerably clockwise from there, i.e. further west if it`s still to the south of here.

I recheck several OKC and other ground- and skywave stations and they appear to null at the proper spots. Maybe something around here is skewing my readings, but only in the X-band? Or KZLS has secretly moved transmitter site, or maybe has a backup site? Unlikely; no such info at radio-locator.com or FCC AM Query. Will have to check further, DF from other locations (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, March 5 at 0706 UT, KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC is open carrier/dead air. Also earlier, trying DF from some other spots around the house gets correct direxion toward east of Hennessey, unskewed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** U S A. 720, March 3 at 1316 UT, weak Spanish station instead of WGN; phone 618-5921, not certain. Call-in with host asking each, ``Âquà necesita Vd. esta maÃana?`` but couldn`t copy the replies; wish list for the disadvantaged? Some music earlier and mixed in, 1320 UT music only; 1324 UT adstring including 379-0437, for an abogado; think I heard an AC 210; Ford dealer in dÃlares; briefly WGN CCI makes a last gasp. 1328 UT, ID with an FM, ``la estaciÃn de la raza``. These clues point to a US, not Mexican source, which would have to be KSAH Universal City (San Antonio) TX, which is supposedly with ESPN Deportes, but nothing about sports now: maybe still does local morning general call-in show? Googling on the Raza slogan with 720 leads right to KSAH, also FM 104.1, as here:
https://es-es.facebook.com/Norteno1041
ESPN Deportes affiliate list as of 5 Feb, however, still has KSAH 720
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/226774/lista-de-afiliados
If it led to Mexico, the candidates would have been XEDE Saltillo and XEJCC Ciudad JuÃrez. DF was closer to SSW = San Antonio & Saltillo (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1000, March 2 at 0606 UT, sports talk in English, basketball, ESPN maybe mentioned in passing, shortly confirmed same as local 1390 KCRC, but 1000 with quite a delay. This is overpowering KTOK OKC; in fact, I must null the ESPN to hear KTOK on groundwave. Therefore it`s 50 kW WMVP in Chicago, and must be on day pattern which has a lobe to the west (but more to the east), while night pattern has a deep cardioid null to the west. Usual occupant of KTOK when nulled is JuÃrez or when it`s cheating, Albuquerque (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, March 3 at 0137 UT, EWTN programming in English from NW/SE, about 1 second ahead of {not behind as I misstated originally} 11520 WEWN. No doubt KRCN Longmont CO: not totally dominant like last time when obviously on 50 kW ND day power, but too much for mere 111 watt night power either; usual LAHs from off-frequencies XERDO and KIJN. {So EWTN programming from Irondale gets to us quicker via Colorado than via Vandiver; why?} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, March 4 at 0651 UT, WOAI has severe QRM, making SAH of almost 5 Hz (295 per minute = 4.92 Hz), of country music, still hard to separate with WOAI nulled as much as possible, but from E/W direxion. 0659 UT announcement but unreadable, 0700 UT no news, into ``Nine to Five`` by Parton. Has to be WAMB Nashville TN, 50 kW ND daytimer! Which has just flipped from Spanish CHR to C&W, per NRC AM Switch as of Feb 20, 2015:

``1200 WAMB TN Nashville â Format to C&W (ex-SS:CHR) Slogan & Group to // FM 98.9 Real Country (Doug Smith)``

Own website has yet to catch up with this, still ``La Radio de Hoy``
http://wambradionashville.webs.com/
tho with a split personality, partly in English, ``Latin/Pop``.

BTW, their big priority to 99.3 promotion was nothing but a 3-watt! Translator in Donelson, W257AR. Likewise 98.7 (per WTFDA DB, not 98.9!) is a heftier but insufficient 80 watt WAMB translator, W254CK. Confusion here: there is a 5 kW on 98.9, WANT in nearby Lebanon (and WAMB`s Nashville address is on Lebanon Road). So which is it? Or both?

Apparently one of WAMB`s (ex?)-personnel, unnamed in automatic slide show on homepage
http://wambradionashville.webs.com/
http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/920/wambradionashville.webs.com/1395186_637811136291600_752674649_n.jpg

It was only 14 months ago that WAMB flipped from Big Band to Spanish, apologetically:
http://www.wamb.net/
How could they accidentally leave a 50 kW transmitter on all night? This makes WOAI no longer the #1 ``clear channel`` station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Checked 24 hours later around 0700 UT March 5, 50 kW daytimer WAMB is no longer colliding with WOAI, altho with WOAI nulled I hear some weak signal. Regarding the confusing situation about WAMB 1200 Nashville and its FM relays, I asked Doug Smith to sort it out:

``98.7 ----
Currently occupied by WCRT-FM1. It's licensed as a booster*, under Special Temporary Authority to address Cuban interference to WCRT-1160. Latter station *was* WAMB but switched calls (and format to religion) when sold to Bott Broadcasting a few years back. The booster switched with it.

Permit for new translator W254CK. Which is currently authorized to use one of the WAMB-1200 towers northwest of Nashville. There are four on the site, even though WAMB is non-directional. The site was built for WWGM-1560, which *was* directional. WWGM moved to Gallatin years ago, becoming non-directional WMRO.

98.9 ---
WANT, Lebanon. Co-owned with WAMB-1200 and WCOR-1490, Lebanon (and
WKDA-900 Lebanon). WAMB IDs with WCOR & WANT. Yes, the format is Real
Country.

99.3 ---
does do surprisingly well for 3 watts. Not sure why.

106.3 ---
will apparently be the new home of WCRT-FM1 once W254CK bumps it`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Feb 27 at 0152 UT, ``You`re never more than 20 minutes away from the weather on My Country, WSLM 12-20 AM``. And you`re never less than 5000 watts day power either, rather than 82 watts night from this Salem IN cheater, per NRC AM Log, which also shows slogan instead as ``Classic Country``. Maybe they utter both (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, March 4 at 0703 UT, heavy CCI, but one station IDing some translators in Colorado, so that would be KCKK Littleton. Is it still ``The Rock``, // 93.7? Then heard some C&W music but could have been from else. I was especially checking for WLGN Logan OH, which was reported cheating earlier in the evening (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, March 2 at 0624 UT with KOKC nulled, briefly hear ``on 105.7``. Normally the dominant would be KOLM Rochester MN; but its website makes no mention of an FM, which it surely would if one existed. There is a 105.7 translator in Rochester, K259BO, but WTFDA FM database says it relays KJCY, contemporary Christian. There might have been a flip, but FCC FM & AM Query show separate licensees.

So to the NRC AM Log for 1520 --- is a 105.7 // mentioned anywhere? Yes! WLGC Greenup KY, 5 kW daytimer, ID as ``Kool Hits 105.7 Newschannel``, address in Ashland. WLGC-FM is also the only 1520 // hit on 105.7 WTFDA FM database listings, but those don`t always show the AM frequency. So make it a tentative (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Feb 27 at 0659 UT, Arkansas religious event calendar continues past 0700 UT, atop the BS from WCKY, so it`s again the cheatin` KVDW England AR, 2.5 kW `daytimer`, for whom breaking FCC rules and licensing is obviously no sin (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. From OK, where it makes no difference, I`ve been a bit bemused by the big DX opening the absence of WQEW/WFME made further east. Look at the night pattern per FCC, with a deep null at 280 degrees, so it should not have been much of a factor e.g. in Michigan. 280 degree null from NYC: Cleveland-Chicago-Omaha-Hilo.

The minor lobe to the SW shouldn`t be a major blocker at some distance either. Comments whether this seems accurate?
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1424019-114635.pdf

Or was most of the DX nominal daytimers when NYC would have been on more troublesome day pattern?
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1424019-114634.pdf
73, (Glenn Hauser, Feb 27, mwdx yg et al,. dxldyg via DXLD)

** U S A. 1600, Feb 27 at 0657 UT, ID in passing as KGYM, weather and local sports for Iowa. First I did double-take as sounded like KGYN, which is already taken by 1210 Guymon OK. This on FRG-7 with E-W longwire; surprised to have this dominating 1600 rather than St Louis or Denver or even Vietnam [non]. Forget about my closest, KUSH Cushing OK, only 70 watts at night.

KGYM is 5/5 kW U2 in Cedar Rapids (which I cheekily abbr. ``CRap``). ``The Gym``, and guess what its format is? (hint: not nudism). This was originally KCRG (as in channel ``9`` TV too) until Oct 20, 2006. Licensee is now KZIA Inc., so is there a New Mexico connexion? Various NM stations have used KZIA in the past, but let it go. Perhaps the Zia Pueblo objected, but the Zia Sun Symbol has been adopted to represent NM as a whole. KZIA is currently an unassigned call on AM, but it`s now the sibling CRap FM 102.9 with 100 kW. 1600 night pattern is a broad ellipse peaking northwest, maximum signal from W to NW to NE, but we should be getting very little here to the SW, so really on ND day pattern? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630, Feb 27 at 0141 UT, Spanish is making it instead of usual English from KKGM and KCJJ, and it loops NW/SE, so KRND in Fox Farm WY; adstring including a Dodge dealer in AC 970 (which is adjacent Colorado); amid heavy CCI, SHVA promos some norteÃo event the next day, viernes 28; 0144 website UNC - algo .org, probably referring to University of Northern Colorado; 0145 Top Dollar(?) store in Cheyenne. 0145 ``La Jota Mexicana, 16-30 AM, 94.7 FM``. Where does the Jota name come from? Allusion to a dance originating in Spain? Has retained original call KRND presumably invoking old slogan ``Grande``. IIRC this station used to have an odd reduced power, but NRC AM Log 2014-2015 now shows it`s 10/1 kW U1 like most X-banders and the other three on 1630.

Owner started other Spanish stations in Colorado. History page is interesting but still doesn`t explain where the J comes from. Maybe it`s obvious to anyone of La Raza; or maybe it`s just random branding which sounds neat. It certainly beats Zeta with its unsavory connotations. Well, at least there is a J in its translator call, K223CJ, tho that was surely a sequential assignment.

But wait, channel 223 is 92.5, not 94.7. Website http://lajotamexicana.com/ confirms 94.7 is it now. The WTFDA FM Database shows the 94.7 in Cheyenne is K234AH relaying KRAE [1480] with Oldies, ``Greatest Hits of the 50s and 60s`` and still shows 92.5 K223CJ as the KRND 1630 duplicator with 50 watts. So both references need this updated. How much longer before KRND starts bestowing top billing on its inferior FM translator, a widespread industry trend? It`s already physically on the upper side of the homepage logo

As for the `Jota` name, Rick Barton, AZ, replies: ``I did a double take when I saw your log. You see, the other definition of the word I am familiar with -- is a Mexican slang word for a Lesbian (La Jota being the feminine version, and El Joto or Jotito being the masculine, i.e., "gay"). With that definition in mind, that radio station slogan was amusing to me. But I`m sure that is not the correct answer here`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, March 3 at 0653 UT, the rapid SAH I hear against dominant KRJO Monroe LA music has finally become strong enough to copy with KRJO nulled: discussion in English about job retraining. 0700 UT outro as program ``Women Libs --- produced at WPRR, Public Reality Radio``; then full ID for that on 1680 AM plus three FMs, 95.3, 90.1 and 88.3 in different towns, and into `Sierra Club Radio`. Besides 1680, homepage http://www.publicrealityradio.org/ mentions only 95.3 in the lower right; 95.3 and 91.9 in the upper left. Maybe the others are mere translators. Linx to shows: `Women Libs`
http://www.publicrealityradio.org/programs/womenlibs
is at 10 am Mondays, and `Sierra Club Radio`:
http://www.publicrealityradio.org/programs/sierraclubradio
is at 5 am Mondays, so these must be extra repeats, or outdated info.
http://www.publicrealityradio.org/schedule
shows neither for Tuesday morning March 3. Whatever the contradixions, a rare left-wing radio station, which ought to get 50 kW clear-channel status, and shortwave. Fat chance. Ada is an eastern suburb of Grand Rapids MI, pop. 2300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---