[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 20-26, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page31

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA [and non]. 800, Feb 21 at 0139 UT, with KQCV OKC mostly nulled, station in English with Leamington ad, i.e. CKLW in nearby Windsor, Ont., soon IDing as ``AM 800, CKLW, Bell Media``, temp as -12 C expecting to ascend to -8 (tomorrow`s hi?). Then news of a missing man. Now, nothing from usual occupant of KQCV null, XEROK with 3x(?) the power and almost twice as close, as sometimes happens; are they off or QRP or what? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA. 1360- & 1420+, Feb 21 at 0130 UT, spurs from strongest local 1390 KCRC are still barely detectable making low audible hets against proper stations, and DFing toward KCRC site (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 750, Feb 26 at 1322 UT, talk in English from ENE/WSW, which rules out KAMA, much wanted Okie KSEO, KMMJ, nor even WSB this late, tho the Chicagoans are still in such as 780 vs KSPI. That leaves KBNN Lebanon MO, 5 kW daytimer, which I also presumably logged on Feb 14 last year around the same time. 1323 UT this year goes on to discuss Led Zeppelin (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, Feb 26 at 1331 UT, KKOW Pittsburg KS is finishing the ``Slap Happy Polka``, on its weekdaily spot, `Polka Time`. This is mentioned on the Wikipedia page about KKOW: ``the morning polka (7:30 daily with birthday dedications, sponsored by Grimaldi's Cash Grain feedstore in Pittsburg)``.

BTW, polka fans with access to the RFD-TV channel may audition Molly Bee`s polka hour UT Sundays at 0300-0400, and another episode midweeks  (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-CUSB, Feb 21 at 0137 UT, KHAC, (Tse Bonito NM but address in Window Rock AZ), ``the Voice of Hope`` program promo for something at 5-9 pm M-F, i.e. this very show; constantly cheating with 10 kW ND day instead of 430 watts night, per NRC AM Log which also shows a different slogan, now abandoned? ``Voice of Encouragement``. Also lists schedule as 08-24 EST, tho I also hear it as late as 02 EST; and all-night? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 980, Feb 24 at 0140 UT, Spanish talk explaining eligibility for Medicare, so it`s certainly United Statesian, from N/S, and in next 4 minutes clearly giving phone number 5 times: 832-701-3647. AC 832 = Houston TX, so this is KQUE, COL Rosenberg-Richmond, but address in Pasadena. NRC AM Log says it`s Radio Aleluya, 5/4 kW U4. Day and night patterns throw major lobe SE into the Gulf, minor lobe NW toward me.

At same time I am getting another weaker SS on 980, somewhat separable further to the SW, likely XENR Nueva Rosita, Coahuila, 0141 UT with local weather (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 990, Feb 21 at 0135, talk show with prompt ID as ``AM 990, KWAM`` Memphis TN, phone 800-801-8999 and apparently another similar number depending on whether you agree with Giuliani or not about Obama being anti-American. What a crock! Holding its own for a while vs XET and CBW; night pattern is WNW/ESE with 450 watts, while day pattern is tight E-W with 10 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, Feb 26 at 1332 UT, ``Newstalk 1050, KSIS and also KSISradio.com`` IDs twice in less than a minute, i.e. 1 kW ND from Sedalia MO, overcoming the Okies.

I had also just heard 950, KWOS Jefferson City MO, 5 kW ND also newstalk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Feb 23 at 0658 UT, bigsig, very good dominating from NW/SE with CRS = Catholic Relief Service rice-bowl ad, 0659 UT ``pro-life update``, dead air just before 0700 UT during a space reserved for local ID which was NOT transmitted, then into EWTN Radio, `Women of Grace, Live` except it isn`t, so please don`t call.

This is obviously KRCN Longmont CO, which as we reported, recently flipped from Bloomberg BIZ to Catholic EWTN, and was widely reported earlier this evening across the country as surely on non-direxional day power 50 kW instead of 111 watts night. Only by nulling it can I bring up the off-frequency LAHs from KIJN, another cheater, and the new XERDO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, Feb 20 at 0652 UT, Coast to Coast, // KFAQ 1170 and countless others, but never synchronized; loops ENE/WSW and holding its own against XEMR. Suspect WRVA Richmond VA, and confirmed as such by several IDs at 0659 UT, ``Newsradio 1140, WRVA`` also with FM and HD frequencies, Fox `news`. 50 kW WRVA night pattern is NW/SE, so not much toward us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Feb 20 at 0655 UT, gospel music from the ENE/WSW, and C&W music from NNW/SSE, the latter soon replaced by caller speaking accented English, mentions DFW international airport, show host also with S Asian accent, so surely KZEE Weatherford TX, 200 watts at night, ``South Asian Radio`` a.k.a. ``Hot Pepper 1220`` per NRC AM Log. The other station would normally be perpetual cheater WSLM Salem IN, which is Classic Country, rather than gospel, so maybe this was really KOMC Branson MO, 1000/44 watts, ``Solid gospel`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1290, Feb 23 at 0706 UT, ``on the mighty 12-90, Koil``. Not often heard here; 5 kW day and night, but night pattern has minor lobe to SSW, major lobe to NNE, while day pattern is ND (the day contour circle in the NRC Pattern Book should be dotted). IIRC, KOIL, Omaha NE was once a major rocker, but now listed as news/talk.

KOIL was on 1180 from 8/24/1993 to 4/22/2003 and again from 01/01/2009 to 06/04/2012 when 1180 became KZOT, per FCC call sign history (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, Feb 26 at 1341 UT, funeral announcements mentioning Marshall, Richmond and Sedalia, i.e. KMMO Marshall MO, 1 kW ND (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Feb 21 at 0652 UT, romantic music in Spanish, 0655 UT Univisión América ID, Spanish PSAs including donate-your-car to a charity for the blind with an 800-number; 0657 UT another one promoting sex education for 14-19 year-olds, website sounded like poderdehablar.org but that goes nowhere; credit Texas Health Department about good diets; 0659 UT, 911 promo for lifesaving, YMCA, all in Spanish; before 0700 UT, only ID heard is for Univisión América, and into music.

Thruout, WCKY without Brother Scare has been hard to null, but this one is from the N/S and has to be KGBT Harlingen, RGV, TX. Its 10 kW night pattern shows essentially zero signal to the north:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1074352-91038.pdf
While day pattern is 50 kW ND; hmmm, could it be? BTW, there is another SS Texan between us, circa Austin, per NRC AM Log, KZNX, Radio Mujer, 10000/220 watts U7 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Feb 21 at 0701 UT, after logging KGBT from the south, I rotate the DX-398 to E/W, finding not WCKY, but church service announcements mentioning Little Rock, so it`s KVDW, England AR, 2.5 kW daytimer cheating again.

I was hoping to hear 1530 Colorado Springs CO, which per AM Switch, NRC DX News post-dated Feb 23, changed call Feb 5 from KCMN to KKHI, now Oldies 1530, and no longer on the I-25 Radio Network; but Wayne Heinen noted it was off the air as of Feb 13. Too, cheating would help get it here as before, 15 kW day power instead of 15 watts night. KKHI, alluding to hi-fidelity? was once the call of San Francisco`s premier classical music station on 1550, until June 20, 1994 when it became KPIX; thence KYCY, KFRC, and currently KZDG (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Feb 24 at 0125 UT, `Univisión Radio` ID in passing, and SHVA ads, 0126 UT Autozone, etc. from N/S, i.e. surely KGBT Harlingen, RGV TX. Standard remark about how KGBT is not supposed to put out any signal toward the north, but this was dominating anything else on 1530 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, Sun Feb 22 at 1350 UT, dominant signal on FRG-7 with E/W longwire is non-commercial-sounding interview about a campus United Way drive, on `Weekend Edition` --- could it be 50 kW daytimer KUAZ Tucson AZ already? with a local segment cutaway from NPR Weekend Edition Sunday? No! Finally at 1353 UT a local reference to Cape Girardeau, so it`s KAPE in MO, on 5 kW day pattern skewed toward the west. BTW, Radio-locator shows address is way over in Mt Vernon IL: Withers corp HQ may be there, but is it also programmed remotely from there?? Transmitter site anyway is definitely near C.G. in MO. Meanwhile, no sign of KLFJ Springfield MO halfway between us which should also be on 5 kW ND day pattern, the Branson station on 1550 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, Feb 23 at 0702 UT, I`m checking 1560 for DX, tho the absence of NYC makes absolutely no difference here in deep North America, since even when on, the WQEW/ex-WQXR blasted most of its 50 kW signal over New England, the Maritimes and Olde England, never heard here. The hiatus is until Family Radio remakes it into a total nonentity, WFME, after having given up their old FM station in market.

But I do get something odd on 1560, ESPN Radio, `Sports Center All-Night`, looping ENE/WSW, so it can`t be Houston, and besides, that`s not ESPN, is it? NRC AM Log 2014-2015 shows several sports stations on upstart networks, but the only ESPN was WSLA, 500-watt daytimer in Slidell LA. No fit.

So I Google on ESPN 1560 and soon find a nearby candidate, WMBH in Joplin MO! Yes, a legacy W-call in the West, belonging to a rather insignificant station, and originally on 1450 until a local station/format swap. It`s only 192 miles/310 km away, city-to-city.

NRC AM Log 2014-2015 had WMBH as urban contemporary format, ``The Beat``, 250/9 watts. Altho the signal soon fades into QRM, I strongly suspect more than 9 watts. If it had stayed on 1450, it could be running 1000 watts at night, but with slightly more QRM.

Confirming WMBH is now ESPN, see these:
https://www.facebook.com/joplinsportsedge
http://www.koamtv.com/story/28133562/wmbh-1560-espn-radio-to-be-flagship-station-for-joplin-blasters
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/affiliate
and click on the map dot over Joplin if you can find it
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1320, Feb 21 at 0131 UT, Spanish talk looping SSE/NNW, mentions Sonora, then fades vs all the CCI. Suspect KXYZ Houston, which is controlled by the ChiCom front running CRI English on 1520 and 1540 most of the time, while 1320 is supposed to be in Chinese; yet, NRC AM Log shows it as Ethnic/brokered/SS at least part of the time. Could a Houstonian confirm whether KXYZ is in Spanish evenings, or ever? Other possibility would be XECPN, Piedras Negras if my DF was off a bit (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---