[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 23-29, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:  http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page30

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Jan 25 at 1328 UT, WKY OKC, El Indomable is still defaulting to English Sunday mornings for a pubaffs interview show at 1300 UT which is often over well before 1330 UT. Also remember that WKY doesn`t hesitate to mix in English commercials when necessary (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Jan 24 at 1344-1400 UT, KGWA Enid in open carrier/dead air, missing IIRC the Cowboy show, the whole hour? And audiblizing others when nulled, definitely KMA: See U S A. KGWA mod cuts back on at 1400 UT for Fox ``news``, so it`s a negative Fox-hole (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Jan 26 at 1557-1600+ UT on caradio, KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa, is *still* open carrier/dead air. Also at another check 2138 UT. And still OC/DA by 2011 UT Jan 27. Is the management so out of it, they don`t even know they are burning kW for nothing over a few days now? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Jan 23 at 1338 UT, KGYN Guymon with ``Mid America Network`` news, about water problems in Wichita, events at SWOSU Weatherford OK and OSU Stillwater. (Weatherford is hardly further than OKC from here, but on much less direct roads, and we keep intending to visit SWOSU sometime.)

The NRC AM Log, which has thorough coverage of regional networks and groups, does not include the Mid America Network. It seems the Mid America News Network is a subset of Mid America Ag Network of Steckline Communications:
http://www.midamericaagnetwork.com/
I suppose HQ is in Wichita, but no physical contact address.

Besides KGYN as a prominent affiliate, others on the homepage are:
KIUL 1240 & 1310 Garden City KS [?? No 1310 there: see next]
KYUL 1310 Scott City KS
KGGS 1340 Garden City KS
KGSO 1410 Wichita KS
KQAM 1480 Wichita KS
KGBL 100.9 ---- where`s that? Lakin/Garden City, 100 kW
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1520, KOKC off the air again! Jan 23 at 0426 UT. Maybe these nighttime absences mean they are really working on getting back up to 50 kW on proper westward night pattern, instead of 12.5 kW ND STA. Instead, KOLM MN cheater is in the clear, see USA; and once again in its null some weak Mexican music is audible, which I would dearly like to ID before KOKC is back in whack; see UNIDENTIFIED. KOKC is certainly back on at 1740 UT check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Jan 27 at 1330 UT, ``ABC Sports Radio update``; why do we need this when we have various ESPNs? 1333 UT, joining Radio Oklahoma Network for ag news, but first an ad for a bank in Sallisaw and Fort Smith [AR], so it`s KYHN. Some SS CCI presumably El Paso (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1650, Jan 28 at 0100 UT, CBS News from KYHN, but checking 1120 KMOX, not //, 0104 UT KMOX already back to local while KYHN has another minute of national news (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** U S A. 690, Jan 25 at 0602 UT, as KGGF is wrapping up with Taps, I start seeking WOKV, Jacksonville FL, which Bob Smoak, Bamberg SC had first reported to ABDX and IRCA at 0155 UT Jan 25: ``DX Opportunity, WOKV, 690, Jacksonville, Florida, is blasting away three hours after sunset with their daytime facilities. They rarely "forget", so here is a good opportunity to pick it up``. And then heard by numerous inlanders.

Now indeed I am hearing a station in English south of Coffeyville and north of XEN and some other Mexican with NA (Cuba not much of a 690 factor any more; used to be one of their main 50 kW channels, but only 10 kW now). Ad in news which at 0605 UT outros as Fox, 0605 UT weather but can`t catch any local refs (seemingly from a TV station meteorologist), 0606 UT into C2CAM theme. Looks promising for WOKV. 0630 UT during C2C break, PSA for something in ``Jacksonville``, so that`s it! and Fox news headlines.

WOKV is 50/25 kW U2, with night pattern normally wasting most of it eastward into the Atlantic (maybe good for W Africa too? but surely with enough to cover Jax` large city limits), while day pattern is ND. This time there is no hurricane to justify it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

 ** U S A. 750, Jan 25 at 0615 UT, romantic music in Spanish, a couple seguÃs too quick before the previous tune is over! Same fast SAH and overriding WSB as usual from KAMA, but I thought it was talk-format, so keep listening; 0625 UT ad mentioning El Paso with such a website, promos for gospel huxters on Sunday morning; 0627 UT PSA from USDA and some other USG agency {Departamento de Salud y Servicios Humanos de los EE. UU}, Ad Council warning of bacteria if you don`t wash your hands â then same PSA played again! See
http://foodsafety.gov/espanol
Rather, directly:
http://espanol.foodsafety.gov/
and 0630 finally ID for UnivisiÃn AmÃrica.

Here`s the explanation from Facebook:
``ÂKAMA 750 AM te brinda las Ãltimas noticias, consejos de expertos y programaciÃn local en El Paso, TX! ÂAdemÃs la mÃsica que mÃs te gusta!
https://twitter.com/KAMA750AM``

And here`s the explanation from
http://corporate.univision.com/media-property/kama-el-paso/

``KAMA â 750AM --- Aquà Està Todo --- KAMA-AM has been a news/talk legend in the El Paso market since its introduction over 25 years ago. It speaks to the hearts and minds of El Paso Hispanics and is their leading source of news, information and sports. With its blend of informative local programming, sports reports, KAMA-AM  is where El Pasoans go when they want to know about finances, relationships, lifestyle and the latest sports scores and news. Thereâs even a bit of music thrown in to brighten up everyoneâs day! So when Hispanics in El Paso need to be informed OR entertained, they turn to KAMA, 750 AM! KAMA-AM is the official Spanish Station of the Dallas Cowboys!``

So it`s in bed with the Vaqueros. Or preferably the Cheerleaders --- which my Random House Spanish/English dixionary translates only as ``porro``, i.e. definitely masculine, so are the gals porras?? {not to be confused with perras!} Google Translate is completely different with porro as joint = reefer, or adjectively,

``[persona] Que tiene dificultad para realizar una cosa con cuidado o habilidad o para comprender una cosa.`` Which ties in with the idea that cheerleaders are dumb, which is certainly not fair, nor are they all feminine. ``See also porra``: that means baton, a stick for hitting somebody, and also an interjexion of disgust. We`re not getting any closer to cheerleader. How about conductoras de aplausos?

Well, not quite ``all`` ---- site does not explain why, 10/1 kW U4, they have been running day pattern and power continuously for months blasting away WSB to the east (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 760, Jan 27 at 1341 UT, nulling KCCV Overland Park KS and thus getting rid of fast SAH, the otherstation is playing praise music, 1344 seguÃ, 1348 country gospel; 1350 UT weather for somewhere in Arkansas, 41 degrees; therefore: KMTL Sherwood, 10 kW ND daytimer. Not a trace of Denver yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Jan 23 at 0345 UT, I null WCCO to reconfirm whether WFNO Norco LA is still QRMing the 50 kW U1 Minnesotan, because it seems to me it`s no longer as big a problem. At tune-in, only a very poor signal with music, but at 0350 UT super-hype voice actor [SHVA] yells ``Caliente, caliente, caliente``, and that`s the slogan of WFNO. By 0400 UT ToH WCCO is too strong to get a legal ID, but obviously WFNO is still there. If on 750 watt night pattern aimed SSE, I should not even be getting this much. Day pattern is 5 kW with broad lobe centered NNW, so maybe now it`s on night power but day pattern instead of day power and pattern at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Jan 27 at 1338 UT just after sunrise here, non-ID twice as ``99-3 Jazz[???] FM``, music style classic rock, loops E/W. NRC AM Log has the answer: WGUE Memphis TN, 3000 watts D1, but CP for 8000/2  watts U1. Format AC/OLD, // W257CY ``99.3 Guess FM`` and it`s in AM $tereo. WTFDA FM database agrees on the //, i.e. translator tail wagging this dog of an AM, but as a K-Love, apparently no longer that. As with any Memphis station, in a tri-state-area, one must ascertain which state its transmitter site is really in. Really TN, per
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WGUE&service=AM&status=L&hours=D
830 Tucson with 50 kW day power might pop in later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, Jan 24 at 1344 UT, local KGWA Enid is not modulating, so I null it to find two or three other stations. There is such a big perpetual hum on KGWA, however, that peaks at precise null point, why? So I have to offset it slightly to pull thru the DX. At 1352 UT, ``sports here on KMA`` ID in passing, from Shenandoah IA, my #1 suspect outside Mexico. LSR was 1339 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, Jan 24 at 0637 UT, `Coast to Coast AM` from two stations making a slight reverb, both roughly NE/SW. And Google searching on the C2C station list for 1420 gets only two hits: WOC Davenport IA, and KTOE Mankato MN (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, Jan 28 at 1344 UT tune-in, ID in passing for KBTN, C&W music, fading, along with slow SAH and hum. KBTN is 1/0.5 kW U2 in Neosho MO, not that far away in the SW corner; logged once before, May 26, 2012 at 1144 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480-, Jan 23 at 0434, LAH on the lo side, but no audio possible. Neil Kazaross says: ``If this het is on the low side of 1480 it is likely coming from WERM Mobile. They are Black Gospel and clearly below 1480 and I doubt they are running proper night pattern. 73 KAZ Barrington IL``. My previous DF also fit for Mobile (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)	`

** U S A. 1480, Jan 29 at 1344 UT, Spanish ad for AutoLite in dÃlares, another for Goodwill, so obviously a US station, CCI from KQAM Wichita in English about 4 Hz away. Probably the closest one, KCZZ Mission KS (Kansas City), 1000/500 watts U4, a Radio Luz, i.e. religious. Close to same direxion as Wichita but somewhat separable.

Per NRC AM Log, all the other US SS on 1480 are much further, in CA, FL, FL, ID, MI, SC, VA, VA, WA, WI, PR. Madison WI might be possible, but day pattern goes NW, nite pattern NE. KCCZ day pattern goes east, nite southeast. KQAM aims westward day & nite which explains its less than strong signal here to the SSW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Jan 24 at 0354 UT, I`m after a definite ID from the CBS Sports station I have heard a couple of times, presumed to be 5 kW daytimer KBED Nederland (Beaumont) TX. Not a word of Dutch, but 0356 UT ad or PSA for some ``Southeast Texas Coalition``, so that`s it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Jan 23 at 0426 UT, good signal with sports talk; at first strong enough to be taken as KOKC but not their format. DFing confirms KOKC is OFF again! Allowing thru unimpeded 10 kW day at night cheater KOLM Rochester MN. At 0431 UT, like previous log, the sportstalk is // 1510, i.e. both CBS Sports Radio (but not // 670 WSCR). 1510 (presumed another cheater, KBED Beaumont TX, as previously) is about one word ahead of 1520 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Jan 24 at 0354 UT, local sports talk, post-game show? Not // 1510 with CBS Sports. KOKC OKC is OFF again!! So this is obviously the cheatin` Minnesotan again with the frequency all to itself. 0358 PSA for Rosacea; 0359 PSA for adopting cats, and ``powered by CBS Sports Radio, Sports Radio 15-20, The Ticket``, weather by YL, and finally legal ID as ``KOLM-AM Rochester``. (Note: it`s not legal; there is no -AM suffix!), and joins CBS Sports Radio for news now // a word apart from 1510 KBED. News on hour from CBSSR is all about sports too; can`t be bothered with the real world which CBS otherwise covers competently. Unfortunately, silly ballgames intrude there too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Jan 29 at 1341 UT, KOKC is on, but with tough CCI in English mentioning Hong Kong, ``program from G&E Studios``. It`s KYND Cypress (Houston) TX, almost the same angle as OKC from here, making usual slow SAH just after sunrise. Streema.com explains,

``KYND is a broadcast radio station in Cypress, Texas, United States. As part of G&E Studio, KYND provides Chinese Entertainment, and News and Talk shows about China to the Houston, Texas area, with content from EasyFM, an English-language broadcast radio station from China Radio International (CRI), Beijing, China``.

So G&E is a front organization for the ChiCom. What does it stand for? Here`s more about it and the several other cities where it operates out of HQ in West Covina CA:
http://gestudio.us/index.php/en/radio-network/houston

Same programming is on 1540 KGBC Galveston, but not audible now with KXEL dominant on day pattern. They also run KXYZ 1320 in Houston, but in Chinese language; I wonder how much if any of that is locally originated (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Jan 29 at 0654 UT, listing gospel musical or worship events in Little Rock and several other Arkansas cities, losing out to CCI in Spanish, with medium SAH. NRC AM Log shows the AR station here is supposed to be a daytimer! KVDW, England AR, 2500 watts D1, UC:GOS/REL format, // 100.9 translator as ``Victory 1530`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1690, Jan 27 at 0605 UT, ``Talk of Chicago, WVON`` ID, and program opening including WVON in Morse code, once, then soul music theme. Also accompanied by IBOC noise, audible vs 1680 weak KRJO, not so much vs 1700 stronger pileup (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Jan 23 at 0426 UT, KOKC is off again, working on transmitter? In the null of KOHM Rochester MN, see USA, I once again have some weak Mexican music, which I would dearly like to ID before KOKC is back in whack. O o, may not be an XE at all; tho neither 1520 Texan is SS, there is one in Louisiana, per NRC AM Log: KFXZ Lafayette, 10000/500 watts U6, ``Juan AM 1520``, SS:AC format from Westwood 1 --- and it`s in $tereo. Night pattern is SSE protecting OKC, but day pattern ND (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Jan 25 at 1305 UT, very poor signal with some music audible. Probably the second harmonic of 1330, KGLD Tyler TX, which I managed to ID two years ago after great effort. It`s non-direxional U1, 1000/500/77 watts, i.e. PSRA of 500 watts starting at 1200 UT, and LSR to 1000 watts in Jan is 1330 UT (Feb: 1300 UT). So our best chance for full power will be Feb 1 before sunrise gets any earlier [not later as I originally misstated!], but the PSRA semi-power span is of course darker --- assuming station is adhering strictly to licensed power & hours (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660, Jan 27 at 1317 UT, JBA music from likely KGLD Tyler TX second harmonic of 1330; need to chase this earlier from 1200 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---