[IRCA] DXpedition to Masset, BC 17 - 25 January 2015 Part 2

SOUTH KOREA 1566, 1830-, HLAZ Jan 20 More information on HLAZ.   I'm
starting to believe strongly that HLAZ is not on before 18:30.  I was
monitoring my 'zoom' function on the Perseus and noted no carrier from HLAZ
before 18:30.  Even a very weak carrier should be visible.  I did see
someone on 1566.004.  At 18:29:20 a strong OC suddenly came on at 1566.001
and then drifted ever so slightly higher over the next 10 or 20 seconds.
At 18:30, HLAZ ID'd in Russian and also gave the Radio Teos ID.  My take on
this, therefore, is that HLAZ is off air before 18:30, and not on in
Chinese as listed.  They are on the air earlier in the morning, so I am
unsure when they sign-off before this transmission. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)
Hereâs what it sounds like in Masset:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk7heufbvg1g8vj/South%20Korea%201566%20HLAZ%20Radio%20Teos%20s%20on%2018h30%20%20Masset.mp3?dl=0

ANGUILLA 1610, 0044-, Dr Gene Scott Jan 21 Good reception noted tonight
while checking for TIS.  // 6090. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

RUSSIA 576, 1500-, Radio Rossii Jan 21 Very good reception with TC for
18:00 (Moscow time) and into news.  Of course the first several news items
mention Vladimir Putin.  Band scan showing Russia also on 810 (Razdolnoe).
The latter, not easy, with 2 cochannels in addition.  As dawn breaks in the
lower 48, much improved with Russia dominating 810 by 15:23.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)  Hereâs a link to 576:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9elts76mixkh5tv/Russia%20576%20Radio%20Rossii%20superb%20reception%20to%2015h30%20snip%2021Jan2015%20Masset.mp3?dl=0

RUSSIA 531, 1533-, Avtoradio Sakhalin Jan 21 Just happened to tune into
531, expecting to hear the usual NHK1 stations, but instead it was in
Russian!  Very pleased with this catch.  NHK1 rapidly rose again to
dominate.  Avtoradio ID at 16:16 without any NHK interference, but only for
a few moments, as they came back within 30 seconds.  News noted at 16:30.
Their IDs are canned and are followed by a rapid 3 tone and 'RaaDeeOhh',
with emphasis on the 'D'.  Almost exclusively lively modern Russian music.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)  Hereâs a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k71iwta75v3nani/Russia%20531%20Avtoradio%20Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk%20exc%20ID%20snip15h00%2023Jan2015%20Masset.mp3?dl=0

UNID 602, 1559-, NAVTEX Jan 21 Why am I getting a NAVTEX signal centered on
602 kHz?  I initially thought it was RTTY, but when I was unable to decode,
I switched to NAVTEX, and sure enough if began decoding.  Off by 16:00
UTC.  Here's what I was able to decode: 78MMMNMNE WIND 30 TO 41 KT.7 '3-'
15 FT.M .TE KT. SEASGMHZX#M  .FRI THU SUN...EEP T. SEAS 8 T  $$  PKZ4 Q AM
AKST AN 2-SNGCTHRU   KEONINOGHT ND THU U K .35MCNM TREEZING S  S  Ideas
welcome!  Weakly back again at 16:02.  Here's what was transmitted to
16:05: ...PLEASK HRI NOAAIWX IDIOFAND OTHER MEENZED I ICODSTHIN FORPUUUEN
S OF THE AK PENINSULA ITKIRAK TO VASTLE CPE-   ...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY THRU
THU...   .TODAY...,3 28,$ 3 . .TONIGHT...NE WIND 30 KT. SRAS 12 FT.
.THU...NE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 17 FTEKGNVANE MIND D 30 KT. SEAS 15  !5. F
.FRI...N W SEAS 13 FT.   S OF THE AK PENINSQLA CASOLE CAPE F TURNWOIPUUUEJ
.TOZ FT.  4 WMONMLKLTKKK KAK LI CAPE SARICHEF TO NIKOLSKI BERING SIDE- PORT
HEIDEN TO CAPE SARICHEF-   ...GALE WARNING THRU THU...   So clearly from
Alaska.  I can also hear it on my AOR 7030+ besides my Perseus.
Interesting aside!. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

CHINA 540, 1613-, CNR 1 Jan 21 What a mismash of CNR 1 transmitters.  They
are not exactly in sync, so one hears a muffle of echos at good level,
besides splatter from 550 KTZN, Anchorage. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

SOUTH KOREA 558, 1616-, HLQH  KBS 2 Jan 21 Strong reception with Korean EZL
vocal.  // to 603. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

JAPAN 567 , 1620-, JOIK Jan 21 Excellent reception, as expected, but I can
also hear probable HLKF from Jeonju, S. Korea seemingly // to 711.
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

JAPAN 612, 1629-, JOLK   NHK 1 Jan 21 Very strong signal with network
programming, and much stronger than JOAK, Tokyo on 594.  A few minutes
later, though, another, presumably Chinese station rose up, but rapidly
back down. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

CHINA 639, 1639-, CNR 1 Jan 21 Once again, I'm hearing several not quite
in-sync CNR 1 stations sharing the frequency.  Lots of 640 splatter from
KYUK, Bethel. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

JAPAN 666, 1643-, JOBK Jan 21 Reasonable strong reception // to 594 and
other NHK 1 stations.  Splatter from 670 KDLG, Dillingham (S 9 + 20).
(Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

JAPAN 675, 1646-, JOVK   NHK 1 Jan 21 No sign of Vietnam this morning.
Instead, I'm hearing NHK 1 // to 594, which is most likely JOVK from
Hakodate, Hokkaido, or less likely, JOUG from Yamaguchi.  As so often
occurs, though, as soon as I type this, there is a cochannel coming up
which could very well be Vietnam. (Salmaniw,Masset, BC)

JAPAN 729, 1701-, JOCK Jan 21 Very good reception besides splatter from
Vancouver CHMJ on 730.  // to many other NHK 1 outlets. (Salmaniw,Masset,
BC)

ALASKA  720  KOTZ, Kotzebue.  Very nice ID at 17:00.  One of the less often
heard Alaskans, even in Masset.  Iâve uploaded  the ID to Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqkzqht3n5hn4ew/KOTZ%20Kotzebue%20AK%20720%20ID%2017h00%2021Jan2015%20Masset.mp3?dl=0