[IRCA] New C.Crane "Skywave" Vs. Tecsun PL-380-- Daytime DX Shootout

--- Begin Message --- At least on the East Coast (NJ & NY, New England states, Atlantic Canada), the radio would have to be very deaf if it DIDN'T get stations such as UK 1215, Saudi Arabia 1521, France 1206, Algeria 549, etc. around sunset during any sort of normal or better conditions.

Sensitivity is obviously more an issue on the West Coast where distances to TP targets can be double those of TA's from MA, ME, NS, and NL.

Of course if these portables had antennas with a cardioid pattern instead of figure-of-8, now that would be something.

I'm waiting for a portable that records RF spectrum as a Perseus and Excalibur does, but in one self-contained unit (PC not needed). Files would go to removable SD memory cards, as done with still and video cameras.

Speaking of SDR's, I want one that accepts two antennas and can do phase-nulling / beamforming in the digital domain.

But, coming back to earth, it will be interesting to see what Gary does in terms of grafting a much huger ferrite antenna onto the CCRadio Skywave.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
So a DXer can choose which of the two audio patterns he prefers, if he is optimistic enough to attempt transoceanic DXing with the barefoot Skywave portable. I suppose that for $89.95 (before shipping) that is probably the
least we should expect.

Gary

--- End Message ---