Re: [IRCA] Some help with "large" loops?

Nobody's jumped in yet Brian, so some quick opinions.

- How important is the shape and symmetry of the loop; e.g. wire sag,
sloping ground, differing heights of the two vertical components?

You can get away with some variation (I know I've discovered after the fact that one vertical leg wasn't as tall as I thought it was) and sag, but it doesn't hurt to aim for symmetry.

- How important is the height above ground for the bottom wire?

I have a Flag that is about 10 feet above the ground for the bottom wire, and found not a lot of difference from one that is a foot or so above the ground, at least so far as nulls are concerned. The higher antenna may be a bit quieter when dealing with local noise.

- Does the type of wire matter much (within reason)?

not that I'm aware of

- If I want something reasonably sturdy and with the possibility of going
up to 20-25' height, am I looking at $100 or more for a suitable pair of
telescopic fiberglass poles?  I don't plan on deploying this if it's windy.

I wouldn't go for height to start with, so keep it simple. A properly tensioned 1x2 x 10 or 12 feet can be sturdier than a telescoping pole. Poles are great for portability or instant antennas however.

An amplifier can help if you think it's a bit deaf. I really like the Wellbrook FLG100, but it's pricey.

It sounds like your antenna has to be close to the house by necessity, so you might be losing some of the characteristics (and getting additional noise). If you think that might be an issue, you could look into Mark Connelly's Micro Super Loop: http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm I don't think it has to be attached to a car, hi. (amplifier necessary)

A remotely adjustable termination can help at least when you are getting a feel for the antenna. Again, Mark Connelly has suggestions. I still have mine remotely adjustable, as sometimes that extra couple of dB less on the splash can bring out the DX.

best wishes,

Nick