[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, October 17-23, 2014

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access: http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page27

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 740, Oct 23 at 1304, KRMG Tulsa has completely dissed its original AM frequency, IDing now only as ``News 102-3, KRMG``; and for weather it depends on ``Fox 23`` = KOKI on RF 22; might as well turn off 740? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 890, Oct 19 at 0142 UT, WLS stupid football game can be totally nulled, audiblizing some talkshow in English, interviewing an author. When not totally nulled, they make a SAH of 224/minute = 3.73 Hz (how come no one else logs such separations? They`re easy to compute with a timepiece; in this case I only counted 15 seconds` worth, 56, then x 4, then divided by 60). 0146 UT long national adstring including GEICO twice, 0151 UT finally resuming after ``Talk Radio for Oklahoma`` non-ID.

The signal was so steady I was increasingly suspicious it was merely groundwave emanating from KTLR OKC, which is supposed to be a 1 kW daytimer, with NO PSSA, per NRC AM Log; and per FCC AM Query, official sunset in October was 0000 UT (November: 2330 UT). Next check at 0208 UT, KTLR carrier still on but dead air; they`ll turn it off when they get around to it. Meanwhile, Cuban music is proper occupant of WLS null, from 200 kW R. Progreso, Chambas, CamagÃey, // much weaker 900.

I originally tuned 890 to try to match the Spanish religion on 1210, the `World Radio Network` RGV stations affiliated with HCJB, if you`ll pardon the outdated brand. Meanwhile, I also checked another OKC daytimer, of a different cluster, whether it also cheat tonite, 1140 KRMP, but not, just XEMR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

====================

** U S A. 620, Oct 17 at 1227 UT, dominant signal is from E/W with long string of Ad Council PSAs and some specific to Arizona, such as ``don`t drive into a duststorm``; 1229 non-ID as ``ESPN PhÅnix, 620-AM``, the sad fate of a once-greater talk station, KTAR. If they had been smart, Bonneville might have used their legacy callsign as an inducement to become an Aljazeera outlet. Or, what`s the equivalent of a Tarheel west of the Miss? And since there is a pretty deep null toward us on the night pattern, we dare assume the 5 kW is running on ND day pattern already, more than hour before official October sunrise of 1330 UT (November: 1400 UT) {Does this among other AZ MW outlets where MST UT-7 always reigns, [deliberately?] misconvert its day/night change times?} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 740-, Oct 19 at 0145 UT with KRMG Tulsa nulled, again trying to ID the Spanish off-frequency by about 50 Hz making a rumbling het. 0148 YL mentions Tamaulipas but there are no stations there, again suspecting XEQN Coahuila. As I keep KRMG nulled, from 0152 UT onward, KTRH Houston abruptly takes over the frequency, in fact stronger than KRMG, tho KTRH is supposed to send very little signal this way. Something just happened to their DA pattern?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 750, Oct 23 at 1305 UT, ad for Branson Connexion, roughly east-west, 1306 Fox show or promo. Probably KBNN Lebanon MO, 5 kW daytimer, close enough for Branson to be a destination (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, Oct 22 at 1248 UT, discussion and interviews about high school marching bands, ID in passing as ``Kurm`` (as one word), i.e. KURM, Rogers AR, 5/0.5 kW U2. NRC AM Log spells it ``Curm``. Band music is a recurring topic on this show around this time of day, but no music axually heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, Oct 20 at 1255 UT, Spanish ad with 719 AC, under another station. Seems to be NW/SE, so I wonder if it was really 713, i.e. KYST Texas City (Houston) TX, which is fully Spanish. 719 would be KLMR Lamar CO, and NRC AM Log says it too has ``some Spanish``. This website is English-only and not very informative,
http://www.myhometeamsports.com/KLMR.html
``KLMR AM "Your Home for Classic Country" Broadcast Schedule:
Anything Goes 7:05-8:00 am Monday through Friday``
which could include Spanish, but this is before 7:00 am MDT. KLMR is also on Facebook but nothing SS there either, mostly sports-stuff and weather forecasts hardly worthy of preservation.

{BTW, I see the Lamar HS sillyballteams are monickered ``Savages`` ---politically incorrect? Could refer to *any* uncivilized people, but oh oh, the mascot is an Indian in full headdress. Countdown?} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Oct 23 at 0535 UT, ``daytimer`` KIJN Farwell TX is dead air but plenty open carrier to maintain its off-frequency fast SAH with anything else, like WLNO or XEEP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070-, Oct 22 at 1308 UT, ``In the Ghetto``, by Elvis, from N/S, fast SAH, obviously KLIO Wichita, but no longer with stupid sportstalk in Spanish, ESPN Deportes --- and back to a previous format of Classic Country, which in the meantime has been on sibling 92.3 FM, KFTI. Then DJ teaser, another country song, and confirmed // 92.3 which is marginally audible here from Norton, Kansas, between local LPFM KAMG 92.1 and KOMA OKC 92.5; 1313 ``Classic Country 92.3 and AM 1070``; 1358 non ID and music past hourtop. At 1402, legal ID as ``KFTI-FM Newton-Wichita and KLIO 1070 AM Wichita``, local news headlines, 1404 back to music already. No other references to 1070 or KLIO heard. Also Oct 23 at 0534, C&W music with usual fast SAH against KNX; also at 1310 against KNX or whatever, as I can tell by 10-kHz stepping with BFO on the DX-398 that KLIO is slightly on the lo side. Miscellaneous further chex day and night into Oct 23 find 1070 is still Classic
 County in English // 92.3.

1070 KLIO flip to ESPN Deportes was on Sept 30, 2013, more than a year ago already! That replaced True Oldies, as discussed in
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1340.txt
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1344.txt

We anticipated some change here on 1070, since this story:

Journal Sells Wichita Station to Envision --- on 10.13.2014

Envision Inc. is benefiting from the Journal Broadcast and E.W.
Scripps merger â the required sale of a station in the Wichita, Kan.,
market to meet federal market ownership limits.

The station selected for sale is KFTI(FM). Envision, headquartered in
Wichita, is a nonprofit dedicated to making the blind and visually
impaired independent and self-supporting when possible. It is
acquiring the station to use as a training ground, a revenue source
and a messaging platform.

KFTI is no low-rent, low-powered scrub station, but packs a solid a
100 kW signal.

President and CEO of Envision Michael Monteferrante said, "We are very
excited to be adding a new dimension to our organization as we enter
the world of broadcast communications â KFTI represents our latest
success in diversifying our operations and strengthening our
resources. Weâre gaining a new revenue stream for funding our
programs, new job opportunities for those we serve and a valuable
communications vehicle through which we and other organizations can
reach audiences. "

In other transactions, Alpha Media is acquiring six stations from
Buckley Broadcasting of California and Buckley Communications. The
stations are: KKBB(FM), KLLY(FM), KNZR(AM/FM) in Bakersfield and
KHTN(FM) and KUBB(FM) in Merced.

Alpha owns stations in 12 markets. Richard A. Foreman Associates was
the broker. - See more at:
http://www.radioworld.com/article/journal-sells-station-to-envision/272804#sthash.4fp7oThF.dpuf
(via Dennis Gibson, ABDX via DXLD)

WTFK? 92.3, really Newton KS north of Wichita, and marginally audible
here. Has been classic country, after AM 1070 was converted to Spanish
sports. Now what becomes of classic country format in Wichita? Geez
(Glenn Hauser, DXLD 14-42)

So for now at least, C.C. is back on 1070, pending some new format and new owners for 92.3 (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1260, Oct 23 at 0530 UT, KSGF with local calendar of events, briefly atop the jumble, i.e. 5/5 kW U2 from Springfield MO. Night pattern is supposedly circle tangent south major lobe, and small ellipse opposite north minor lobe, i.e. null toward us. I at first took it as KSPF which would make more sense, but that`s a call for no US AM station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Oct 18 at 0606 UT, ``Tri-state area --- talk 1280 WGBF``, then fade out. I wasn`t sure of the W+ calls but this is the one that slogan matches in NRC AM Log, WGBF, Evansville IN, 5/1 kW U2, which means direxional only at nite. NRC Pattern Book shows one of its three lobes is westward, enough for us. Has anyone compiled how many ``tri-state areas`` there are in the US --- a lot! Hardly distinctive --- and how many axually go by that monicker? There are even more bi-state areas but no one seems to care about them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, Mon Oct 20 at 1313 UT, ``Mike & Mike`` from KAKC Tulsa but at certain angles with an echo/reverb, meaning a second ESPN affiliate. This map is not user-friendly; all you can do is blow it up and hover over each dot, or right-click, maybe to see which station and frequency applies:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/affiliate

So we consult the new 2014-2015 NRC AM Log on 1300. There are surprisingly few ESPNs listed besides KAKC Tulsa, none in neighboring states. How about sports-formats anyway which may have flipped or added ESPN for Mike & Mike? KVET Austin TX, KCSF Colorado Springs CO, KRZS Searcy AR. KCSF online schedule confirms it`s not them, but KVET
http://www.am1300thezone.com
does have Mike & Mike from ESPN, M-F 5-9 am CDT, plus more ESPN M-F 9-11 am; elsewhen Fox Sports, and also NBC Sports. So ESPN should be added to the NRC AM Log for KVET (and may already have been in an e-DXN update). Has dated day-by-day future schedule, even with contingencies depending on who wins what games.

The hand on the ESPN map above doesn`t want to point a finger at the dot between San Antonio and Waco in case that means Austin. Finally it worx â no, that`s Temple; there is no Austin dot. What do they know?

Here`s something odd to be broadcast on KVET: Sunday Oct 25 at 11:00-11:30 pm, ``Clear Channel Staff Meeting`` = 0400-0430 UT Mon Oct 26. Check out rather their iHeartRadio webcast for inside info?? Never mind:

{Wait a minute: this was from clicking on ``weekly programming`` under ``On Air`` --- but altho seemingly ``current`` week loads, days of month and days of week are one off: Oct 25, 2014 is Saturday and will not be Sunday until 2015! Upon closer inspexion, this page is from May, 2014! On the same page under ``Recent Articles`` are four linx to other ``weekly programming`` pages, for April-May 2014; Feb 2014; week of Sept 30, *2013*; August 22, *2013* -- as if any of those were of any possible use now.}

Also, like any good macho sports station, KVET currently linx to Splash News cheesecake of a Venezolana, Michelle ``La Cuerpa`` Lewin, who, except for freckles on her shoulders, back and chest, is almost as pink as the sandÃa, watermelon she`s biting on a bikini beach (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, Oct 23 at 2258 UT, something looping NW/SE with CCI, 1-800-MYSOLAR ad, just can`t make out any 2259 ID before CBS bong and news sounder at 2300. I`m here seeking any trace of KGNO Dodge City KS on SSS, since I can`t hear it on daytime groundwave and suspect it`s off the air. But NRC AM Log doesn`t have CBS on it; the most likely one in neighboring states would be KJCE Rollingwood TX (Austin market). I`ve been monitoring since 2230 during the partial solar eclipse, in case there`s anything of interest. Skywave is in at top end of band, but not really unusual. Clouds cleared for less than a minute, not long enough to set up a projexion for a glimpse of the Moonbite (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Oct 19 at 0159 UT, station with 877- number for listener comments, then ID for ``AM 1520 KYND Cypress and AM 1540 KGBC Galveston``, into newscast by YL, starting with train wreck in Arkansas and other US news. No Chinese accent evident, and hard to believe CRI would cover such news from Beijing, so this pair also get news on hour from elsewhere?? 0202 UT fading in and out. Must keep KXEL nulled.

But at 0203 UT, 1540, KEDA San Antonio overrides with ad in English  for Oktoberfest event at a Catholic church in Lyman(?) TX, Tejana music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, Oct 18 at 0559 UT, ads for barracuda.com and Australian Dream, then ``KREL, Colorado Springs, 15-80 sports, all sports all the time``. Dominating frequency despite ``140`` watts at night vs 10000 watts day power, both non-direxional. Listed as ``ESPN 1580`` but I did not hear ESPN mentioned in this ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1620, UT Sunday Oct 19 at 0134 UT, Prof. Michio Kaku`s `Science Fantastic` show as he discusses fusion vs fission, the theory of H-bombs, and how he was a protÃgà of Edward Teller. 0158 UT wrapup. Good dominant signal from WTAW College Station TX; I had plenty to say about Kaku, and WTAW in two previous logs, which I won`t repeat here, but reference:
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1106.txt
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1331.txt
Seems WTAW is the only station where I run across his multiple-affiliate show again and again (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WH2XDE, 1750 kHz, experimental station in Victor NY has also been running WORLD OF RADIO some evenings, such as 0300 UT October 23 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610-1620+, Oct 21 at 0542 UT as I am monitoring ANGUILLA, q.v., a noise blob is very slowing crossing 1610 and moving upward. It`s not like IBOC; an ionosonde? Or some new local device? By 0543 UT it`s crossing 1620 R. Rebelde and a SAH.

1610-1620+, Oct 23 at 0524 UT, same thing is happening again, noise blob gradually moving upward from 1610 across 1615, by 0525 across 1620 stations. What is this? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)