Re: [IRCA] Cubans on 530 kHz

Brian - Cuban call signs involve some degree of confusion, partly because
they are rarely if ever announced.  One exception is CMHW, which uses the
"W" slogan ("doble-veh").  I think this slogan predates the Cuban
Revolution.  Another difficulty is that there have been sometimes dual call
letters for a single station.  Take a look at the 2014 World Radio TV
Handbook and you will see even more confusion as it appears that the same
call letters are used for multiple stations sharing the same slogan.  And,
finally, note that many Cuban networks have multiple transmitters on one
frequency.  Sometimes you can hear a distinct echo that reveals at least
two stations on the channel, but which ones are you hearing?

I heard the 530 and the 1180 while visiting San Diego many years ago.  You
might also try 1620, as there a whole raft of Rebelde stations operating
there, and you can look for a parallel on 5025 shortwave.

Welcome back!

Jim Renfrew, Clarendon NY