[IRCA] Grayland DXpedition - Day 2

Our second day at Grayland wasn't as good as the first. For the second year in a row, an animal ran through our Beverage antenna and reduced the length to a couple hundred feet. Conditions sounded somewhat auroral as a result, with many stations off the back dominating their respective channels. For example, the dominant station on 1230 was in Reno, 1130 was dominated by Spanish instead of CKWX, etc. TPs were present on the Beverage as sunrise approached, but with reduced signals and much domestic splatter.

We ended up relying on Nick's west-facing Wellbrook Array for most of our listening, with much improved results. Conditions seemed to be slightly auroral. Several Aussies were noted, and Hawaiians dominated many domestic channels. TPs were present in large numbers but, as Gary noted, only the usual powerhouses were strong. A few second and third tier stations had their moments, such as Taiwan-1143, NHK2 on 1125 and 1386,, and one of the Japanese commercial stations on 864. I may find some hidden gems when I play back the SDR files, but offhand I would rate today as below average by Grayland standards.

Bruce