[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 5-11, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page26

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1010, Sept 7 at 0559 UT, ``Newstalk 10-10`` ID in passing, mentions 11 o`clock --- so is it something from UT -7 zone? Must have been referring to when previous program started, as soon obvious it`s CFRB Toronto, from ENE, into local news, 0604 UT outro as Bill somebody from Canadian Press, then YL with Toronto weather, hi today to be 24. Not often heard here, but now without much competition. No sign of Amarillo or Festus. NRC Pattern Book shows 50 kW CFRB has a night notch toward us; could it be on day pattern instead which does not, minor lobe this way, major away? I get CHHA, CJBC and CFZM more easily from the GTA. Nice to hear CFRB as they still haven`t got around to fixing CFRX 6070, and may never (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1738, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 2749-USB, Sept 6 at 0149, very poor talk, marine weather, presumably scheduled VAR-3 for Fundy NS, but from where, exactly? Starts at 0140 and next one on shared frequency not until 0240 from Halifax, VCS-2, per http://dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm#O%20NF
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1170, Sept 7 at 1152 UT, KFAQ Tulsa is dozing on Sunday morning, dead air. Nulling carrier at 1153 UT, I can hear an XE with a federal PSA, but by 1158 KFAQ is remodulating. XERT in Reynosa, or XEMDA Monclova most likely; at least we know it`s not Colorado, USA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Sept 5 at 0139 UT, C&W music from US Country, i.e. KGYN Guymon, No Man`s Land. Whenever checked at night now for some weeks has good signal, i.e. illegally ND day pattern not nulling toward Philly.

1210, Sept 7 at 1220 UT, dead air dominating from KGYN Guymon; another Sunday morning dozer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 600, Sept 5 at 0531, ``News-talk KTBB and KTBB.com`` ID, Air Force Reserve PSA, San Antonio, presented by the Texas Association of Broadcasters; another ID mentions 95.7 FM (FCC FM Query shows only a 250-watt translator CP, K236BG). This Tyler TX station is not that far away, but dominant night signal here usually is WMT in IA, which I can still hear now by nulling KTBB. Both of them aim this way at night, KTBB northwest with 2.5 kW, and WMT southwest with 5 kW, often with same network talk programming but unsynchronized, annoying (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 11 at 0246 UT, gospel huxter from E/W making SAH of 260/minute = 4.33+ Hz against KRVN to the north. I`m rechecking this since 48 hours earlier I assumed this was KLRG in Arkansas, but Todd Skaine in MN, 47 hours earlier was getting KHAC in AZ, also a known cheater. It also has the distinxion, as KAZ points out, of modulating on upper sideband only, and sure `nuff the signal I am getting now has no LSB component; good at peaks, 0253 UT outroing Luís Palau program in English with 1-800-ASKLUIS phone; 0255-0259 SRN ``news``; 0259 ID as KHAC Window Rock, weather for there, Gallup NM (low: 40) and the Navajo Res out to Tuba City; ``thank you for listening to KHAC ---`` into hymn in English; now I can detect a bit of that, much weaker on LSB than USB, but may be the DX-398`s doing. We are wondering if lacking LSB is a defect or deliberate employment of the Kahn Powerside System; there is nothing on 870 nearby needing protexion. But here
 it should give WCBS a better chance on 880-LSB. While KHAC has more punch on USB than with plain old DSB AM.

Recheck at 0559 UT Sept 11, same weather minute repeats and KHAC ID adds ``part of the Western Indian Network, the Voice of Hope``. Anyhow, this surely sounds like 10 kW day power rather than licensed 430 watts night, both non-direxional. Supposed to be on night power in Sept between 0115 and 1245 UT. COL: Tse Bonito NM, and the site is barely in NM. Dennis Gibson, ABDX, looked into KHAC`s history of several frequency changes: originally in 1961y applied for 630, but came on in 1967y on 1300, in 1979y to 1110, and since 1989y on present 880 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re: 900, Sept 4 at 1909 UT on caradio bandscan I notice that KSGL Wichita KS is missing. 250 watter is normally audible on daytime groundwave, and sometimes even its IBOC upper sideband circa 913 if in a quiet location. Hybrid outlet with religion and nostalgia, as explained on their compact website http://www.ksgl.com but nothing found about being off the air. I`ve e-mailed an inquiry (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I soon received a reply from KSGL that they are on the air, but maybe something is wrong with the power level, or wind is blowing the wrong way (hi). I check again at 2335 UT Sept 4 and still can`t hear it at all. Maybe by mistake on night power of 29 watts? Another check at 1725 UT Sept 5: I do detect only a JBA carrier on 900.

900, Sept 10 and Sept 11 circa 1915 UT check on caradio, KSGL Wichita KS is still inaudible instead of customary 250-watt daytime groundwave. Terry at KSGL replied Sept 8, ``thanks for the update [as of Sept 5]. Our engineer is going to see what he can find out`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, Sept 10 at 0054 UT, KMOX mixed with another station in English, preacher?, making slow SAH of 26/minute = 0.43+ Hz; 0104 UT recheck, only KMOX. Don`t see how it could be anything but KTXW Manor TX, yet still haven`t got an ID. Its September sunset is supposed to be 0030 UT for pattern switch and power reduxion from 5600 to 155 watts; only in April is 0100 UT the proper time. No sign of KEOR Tulsa Spanish now; only other nearby 1120 is KLIM in Limón, Colorado, but listed in last year`s NRC AM Log as silent since 2002! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Sept 5 at 0144 UT, break in music to announce a traffic accident is blocking I-25 thru Pueblo, so detour into city streets; from Ray Weston in the ``Pueblo Radio News Center``, but outro as ``--- Newsroom``. I.e. KCMN in Colorado, dominant signal instead of WCKY. Yet, KCMN official September sunset is 0115 UT, so it`s well on the way to another night of cheating with 15,000 instead of 15 watts (they also have a 1000 watt Critical Hours license) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1580, Sept 10 at 0548 UT, ID immediately upon tune-in as ``KREL, Colorado Springs, all sports all the time``, and back into Fox Sports One. It`s ND day and night, but night power supposed to be only 140 watts instead of 10 kW day power (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1690, Sept 8 at 0257 UT, Radio Disney ID and music, fading in and out, at the moment not much from WVON Chicago. Disney is Denver`s doomed KDDZ Arvada CO, presumably only a few days left before divestiture. Will there be an hiatus, or immediate takeover by someone else? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---