[IRCA] TIP: "Sunny 1550" KKOV Vancouver, WA/Portland, OR

I was picking them up at around 7:10, playing an older standards type song
The announcer came on, which I immediately recognized as a Westwood One air
talent from their "Americas Best Music" satelitte format. I never heard a
station slogan or calls mentioned, but I recognized the annoucners voice
immediately as well as the slogan he used... "Right here on the station
playing America's Best Music" into another song.

KKOV's website matches up with the jock and music I heard. It was easy for
me to pick out since I worked with the format for over a year at WKBI 1400
Saint Marys, PA.

At about 7:13, KKOV suddenly disappear.. meaning I think they switched form
their 50KW 1 tower day power/pattern to their 12KW/4 tower pattern beaming
north.

It would appear their transmitter remote control system likely things it's
still August, as August's power down time for KKOV is 7:15, in September
it's supposed to be 6:30. So if you need KKOV, this might be a good chance
to log them.

While KKOV was still on it's 50KW Non Directional day pattern, it was
fighting it out with KZDG 1550 San Francisco and it's Asian format along
with spanish on 1550 which I am assiming to be 1550 KXEX Fresno, CA on
proper night pattern, if they are in fact spanish. .some sources say they
are sports.

KXEX's sunset time is 6:45 in August and 6:15 in September.

If it wasn't KXEX, it was KMRI 1550 West Valley City/Salt Lake City, UT
still on 10KW Non directional day power.

KMRI's sunset time is 6:30 in August and 5:45 in September

Paul Walker
Redding, CA
All times mentioned are using pacific time