[IRCA] July 2014 Rockwork 4 Ocean Cliff Combined DXpedition Report

--- Begin Message ---
Hello All,

Last month Chuck Hutton and I visited the "Rockwork 4" ocean cliff on Highway 101 south of Cannon Beach, Oregon for a joint DXpedition-- using both a Perseus-SDR + 15' x 15' Flag antenna setup for spectrum capture and a 7.5" loopstick PL-380 Ultralight + 15" FSL for live DXing. As most of you know by now, we stumbled across some legendary New Zealand propagation-- far and away the best that either of us had ever experienced.

As I was scrambling like mad to track down obscure Kiwi stations with the PL-380 and 15" FSL antenna Chuck was making out like a bandit with his Perseus-SDR, recording two phenomenal New Zealand mornings for future review. Chuck has just finished reviewing his Perseus .wav files from those two exceptional mornings, and has drafted a breakthrough logging report with 87 Kiwi stations (and possibly more, depending on some mysteries). Despite the relatively small antennas that we were using the ocean cliff propagation kicked in with serious force, giving us unprecedented success in both Kiwi signal strength and station variety.

For those who are interested, a full Combined DXpedition Report (17 pages) has been uploaded to  http://www.mediafire.com/view/gpjd7rge4dt2kof/July_2014_Rockwork_4_Ocean_Cliff_DU_(DeBock_&_Hutton).doc  and will shortly be uploaded to the Ultralightdx file site. Included is a description of the ocean cliff propagation theory, a summary of the new 15" FSL antenna development, a day-by-day description of ocean cliff propagation, the Ultralight radio loggings and MP3 links, Chuck's Perseus-SDR loggings, and Chuck's maps showing the locations of the New Zealand stations which were heard and unheard. Chuck and I both had some serious fun during this ocean cliff DXpedition, and I was honored to share this exceptional experience with him.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

--- End Message ---