[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight DU's for 7-16

--- Begin Message ---

Hello All,

It was a pleasure to welcome noted DXpeditioner Chuck Hutton to the humble Highway 101 turnoff this morning-- possibly for the psychological assurance that somebody else was also fanatical enough to chase DX on the side of an ocean side cliff on busy Highway 101 at 0400 local time (actually, Bill was there before me, at around 0300, to set up his small flag antenna). So with the reassurance that both of us were indeed halfway normal, we proceeded to chase Kiwi DX in both an "Apples and Oranges" setup (Perseus SDR + Flag antenna, and PL-380 Ultralight Radio + FSL antenna).

Fortunately Chuck encountered the same New Zealand-slanted propagation that I have been experiencing for the past 3 days (which happens often at Rockwork 4, but which is particularly intense this week). We both DXed independently, so the report below contains only the Ultralight + FSL highlights of the session. Once again it was primarily an all-Kiwi session, with S/N pegging signals from 531-PI, 567-RNZ and 657-Southern Star. At the 1115 UTC start time New Zealand stations were already on the warpath, with 531-PI leading the charge at an S-9 level. Signals continued to improve until the peak sunrise enhancement from 1230-1300, including the strongest signals ever received from 567-RNZ and 657-Southern Star. Despite multiple searches the Australians seemed to be back in hibernation, with the intense Kiwis totally shutting them out on all the low band frequencies. Around 1256 UTC a fairly decent carrier finally showed up on 576, and I figured that the Aussie big gun 2RN was finally making its first appearance this week. When tuning in, however, I heard a fairly weak station with a solemn DU voice reading something (or maybe preaching), backed up by a two-tone organ-- with apparent mentions of "the Lord" at :54 and :57 into the MP3 recording. Because this format doesn't sound at all like the Aussie big gun 2RN, it makes me wonder whether the intense Kiwi propagation delivered a very rare New Zealand station apparently never before heard on the west coast-- the 2.5 kW The Word/ Bible Radio in Hamilton. The only Aussie to make it through the twisted propagation was the Brisbane big gun 1116-4BC, which somehow managed to deliver a vibrant signal around 1247. Chuck and I wrapped up DXing around 1330, and plan to hit the Rockwork 4 cliff again very early on Thursday morning.

531 PI   Auckland, NZ  (5 kW)   Another day, another thunderous PI recording-- so what else is new?
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/er60cl7pivjaj02/531-PI-1217z071614PL380.MP3

567  RNZ  Wellington, NZ  (50 kW)   Monster signal from the Kiwi big gun pegging the PL-380 S/N with news at 1302;
              this was the strongest signal it's managed during any of the ocean cliff DXpeditions
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ei3fcu7fmpm7bs2/567-RNZ-1302z071614PL380.MP3

576  UnID-DU   Weak DU English speech with apparent religious format-- possibly the 2.5 kW New Zealand station?
              (headphones required) http://www.mediafire.com/listen/glgibkqqw67x72w/576-UnID-DU-1256z071614PL380.MP3

603  Radio Waatea   Auckland, NZ (5 kW)   The standard late-night Maori male announcer showing up on 585-603-765
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ikesbfefho6h1yl/603-R.Waatea-1234z071614PL380.MP3

657  Southern Star  Wellington, NZ  (50/ 10 kW)  Huge signal at 1224 with Christian hymns and female DU speech
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/y51tg4z4m9g22zb/657-SouthernStar-1224z071614PL380.MP3

783  Access Radio  Wellington, NZ  (10 kW)   Temporarily vibrant with pop music at 1311
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/kx3l6fk73d7sfb2/783-AccessRadio-1311z071614PL380.MP3

1116  4BC   Brisbane, Australia  (17kW/ 6.3 kW)   The sole Aussie signal managing to get through Kiwi-slanted propagation
              this morning, with vibrant speech around 1251
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/xsxewoew3ah7rou/1116-4BC-1251z071614PL380.MP3

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Cannon Beach, OR)
DXing at the Rockwork 4 ocean side cliff on Highway 101
(Tillamook Co., OR) http://www.mediafire.com/view/2jtmctq7as7448o/Rockwork-Sites-003.jpg
7.5" loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight +
New 15" DXpedition FSL antenna   http://www.mediafire.com/view/7bkbc9rzg2koq2k/15inchDXFSL-014.jpg

--- End Message ---